When did you learn to...

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby sakura_celia » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 am

Brush teeth -- Still not great at it. (at age 23.)

Ride a bike -- I learned to stay on it for brief periods at age 22, but I always use a trike now, thus circumventing that little problem. I can't really ride a bike.

Tie shoes -- I made up my own way at age 10, and learned to properly tie them (so that it made a bow) at age 21. A friend decided that I was going to be able to tie my shoes, and we practiced the steps for an hour or more until it stuck!
sakura_celia
Forum Master

Postby bpcooper » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:16 am

Danni wrote:Brushing teeth- no idea, but I still can't do so properly (and I keep forgetting to :oops: ). Sammie on the other hand pretty much can do it herself with her electric toothbrush- just needs some help with the back bits.

Riding a bike- around 7 or 8, but since puberty I'm unable to balance when going around corners, and cannot break in time for roads and stuff. It's too dangerous for me to ride a bike.

Shoelaces- sometime before I was 11. Like others, I don't know how to tie them so they stay tied. The annoying thing is I have to have them tied really tight, so leaving trainers knotted isn't an option.

who's sammie?
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:06 pm

My 3 year old daughter, who is most definitely not dyspraxic :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:47 pm

Brushing my teeth- I still don't really have the hang of it really :oops:
Riding a bike - 6 or 7 nearly every day I was taught by my mum and dad but that hasn't stopped me flip over the handle bars and have some very nasty accidents.
Tying my shoelaces- I was quite early,every night my mum spent 10 mintues teaching me, I still can't really tie laces so I prefer to get velcro shoes than laces.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby bpcooper » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:26 pm

do you have trouble brushing her teeth danni?
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:28 pm

Not so much as my own. With hers I can see what it happening (also, she's undersensitive to pain whereas I'm oversensitive, so she actually likes it and I find it painful).
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby bpcooper » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:31 pm

ok
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Fortnox » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:17 pm

I've (very reluctantly) brushed my teeth as long as I can remember, but I've never been able to ride a bike, and I gave up trying to learn to tie my shoes long ago. Velcro is so much better, I don't even mean just for Dyspraxic kids, but for everyone velcro is just so much easier and simpler. I don't know why people use laces at all these days.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby bpcooper » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:20 pm

yeah, velcro football boots should be made
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby benjnottingham » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Teeth-can't remember
Shoe Laces-When I was about 8 or 9
Riding an bike: When I was 7 or 8
Ben :D
B Jackson
benjnottingham
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:38 am

Brush my teeth? about 8
Ride a bike? on 2 wheels around 12-13
Tie Laces? I can't do them all but I was taught a tiny bit at 11. I can do exagurated knots that usually keep hold. It's just hell getting them loose.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:47 am

Laces I have bought 'skater' style trainers for as long as I can remember, persuaded soemone to tie them for me and then shove them under the tongue of the shoe

smart shoes my current ones have velcro

teeth - use a electric brush but have most problemms cos I can't grasp it due to physical health

bike - not sure will have to check with parents, but use to love to try BMX'ing and would inevitably go over the handle bars

although I can remember having self tying curly laces on shoes when well that was the 80's and early 90's

(yes im old as im 24-
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:18 pm

When I was seven the dentist humiliated me by asking my parents to clean my teeth for me as he thought I was not brushing them correctly. My parents got me an electric brush instead and the problem was partially solved.

Tie my shoelaces? Hmm. I was about eleven. I still can't tie them properly - they come undone after a short while. Someone will begin to say, "Vicky, your shoel - " and I will snap back, "Yes, I KNOW!"

Ride a bike? I was nine or ten. Like Esther, I'm fine on flat ground. Turning corners and stopping the bike are difficult for me. My parents are also terrified that I will get knocked down by a car if I go out cycling alone, so at the age of twenty I am not allowed to ride unsupervised.

Vicky, i can relate.

I learnt to brush my teeth properly when i was about 8. Luckily, i think my dentist knows what im like, so when i had the same problem, he gave me a electric toothbrush to try- and i've used them all the the time since. With a normal brush i find it alot more difficult to get everywhere, aswell that i prefer the feeling of a electric toothbrush.

I learnt to ride when i was about 9/10 aswell, but i havnn't ridden for a while, and very much doubt my parents would let me go anywhere further than about 30m from my house!

Shoelaces I cracked on my last week of year 6 (age 11) - I remember every day practising with my TA for ages, allthough they still don't stay tied for very much, its easier to stick to velcro, even at the age of 16 lol.
:D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: When did you learn to...

Postby lycanfist » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Brush my teeth: Around 6, but I still struggle, because I don't like it that much
Ride a bike: Around 8, it took me a day :D
Do my shoe laces: Last week, and I'm 13 :oops:
"You are what you dare" - The didact, halo cryptum
I am the worlds biggest Halo, and hunter x hunter fan :D
http://www.youtube.com/lycanfist
http://www.twitter.com/lycanfist
lycanfist
Super Poster

Re: When did you learn to...

Postby allhahaheehee » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:11 pm

I still cant tie shoelaces that great and I'm 26
allhahaheehee