Getting lost

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Getting lost

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:33 pm

our school started late today, to give the year 7's time to get used to the place. useually, mum gives me a lift to school on her way to work, so today I had to walk to school. To start with, I was fine - whilst I get a lift TO school, I walk home, and thought I knew the rout. so, I walked to school, went into the short cut that everyone uses to get there quicker, and then found myself lost. Luckily, I saw someone from my school, and followed him out till I knew where I was.

so, Tips:

1) If there is a place you walk to, get to know the area around that rout.
2)Try and get maps if your in a knew area.

Anyone know any more Tips?
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:53 pm

plan out the route before hand and dont make it too complicated . The simpler the route the less easy it is to get lost. If u can memorize the diretions its easier so u just learn something like right by the shop left by the train station then right again.
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby invisifish » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:34 pm

i tend to think in pictures so if someone gives me a list of directions i cant even understand what they are saying. it sometimes helps to have directions writen down and if you think in pictures it helps to have directions with land marks.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:14 pm

When I'm somewhere new I read signs and notices to navigate or find my own way by going around the place a few times. It hasn't seemed to work with college yet....
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Qasim » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:34 am

Get to know key buildings, get someone to describe them for you before you set off. That way you'll know your going the right way. Well, it's worked for me.
Qasim
Mega Poster

Postby mattie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 pm

I still don't know the names of roads and estates in my area, even though I've lived here for my whole life (i.e. 23 years. :?) I guess I'm crap at remembering stuff like that, and most of the time I can't be bothered anyway. :lol: :? Plus I don't go out much at all. :? :lol:

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:59 pm

When your walking around an area your not peculiar with, keep looking back when your walking - this makes it easier for when you come back - you can see your surroundings in a different light, and know where you are when you walk back.

Dont think any of that made any sense.. haha

It works for me and my dad ^_^
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:50 pm

kitty_cute wrote:When your walking around an area your not peculiar with, keep looking back when your walking - this makes it easier for when you come back - you can see your surroundings in a different light, and know where you are when you walk back.

Dont think any of that made any sense.. haha

It made sence to me. I'm going to have to remember that one in future.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:46 pm

1.) Find some subtle way of distinguishing between left and right if you have problems with this. I wear a ring on my right hand to help me work this out, although laterality isn't so much of a problem any more. Alternatively, extend your index fingers and stick your thumbs out to the side. The thumb and index finger of your left hand will form an 'L' shape. There, now you will actually be able to take the correct turning when someone says, "Take the second right..."

2.) Get a map of the area and ask someone to help you customise it so that it makes sense to you. I have difficulty reading standard maps, so the Disability Resources Centre at Cambridge helped me to create a special one, incorporating actual photographs of the different locations and lists of detailed written directions. I lost it in my first term, but it was great while I had it! It really helps if you have a photo of the place you're looking for.

3.) If you have difficulty remembering a string of spoken directions given by a passer-by, say, "I have a memory disability. Could you write them down for me, please?" Always keep paper and pen on you for this purpose. If you're nervous about doing that, follow the first two directions and then stop someone else to get new ones. Do this until you reach your destination.

3.) If you're going somewhere important, do a 'practice run' two or three days in advance to get the route in your head.

4.) Set off fifteen minutes early to allow for mistakes.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby C » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:43 pm

parnassus wrote:1.) Find some subtle way of distinguishing between left and right if you have problems with this. I wear a ring on my right hand to help me work this out, although laterality isn't so much of a problem any more. Alternatively, extend your index fingers and stick your thumbs out to the side. The thumb and index finger of your left hand will form an 'L' shape. There, now you will actually be able to take the correct turning when someone says, "Take the second right..."

If I ever do drive, I plan to stick a red sticker on the right hand side of the wheel. The fact that it is red will remind me it's the right side. Or maybe I'll just stick a sticker saying 'right' on...

I remember hearing about the second of your tips when I was younger but it never worked for me. I'd always get confused and turn my hands round so that my right hand made the L and then I'd think my right hand was my left hand and get all confused!

I remember having massive trouble with my rigth and left and then my auntie taught me a trick that I still use to this day. I am right handed and she told me to think of the sentance 'I write with my right hand.' I have to flap my hand around a bit to remind me which one it is I write with but once I've done that I'm fine!
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:38 pm

I know its, probably much much to late but wear two plastic bands on your wrists and write a big L and R or wear two plastic bands that are two different colours on each wrist, to remember left and right.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby JamieB2712 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:09 pm

For not getting lost I need to not wander off on my own, When I was younger I got lost when I was skiing when all the lifts were closed, it was an interesting experiance not helped by the fact that I couldn't remember anything about where I needed to get to.

Also last year :oops: I managed to get lost at Reading festival and wandered into the camp-site. I was told that where I was attempting to get to was about five miles up the road I had just gone down,

To distinguish between left and right I just tend to kick with my left foot as I can recognise that way, I can kind of tell normally although when people talk about "their left" it gets really confusing and they don't understand how that is a useless phrase!
JamieB2712

Postby parnassus » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:37 pm

Recently I decided to enjoy the adventure of being lost rather than getting stressed or upset. Last term Esther and I travelled to a shrine on pilgrimage - a shrine that is located in the middle of nowhere and has the strangest public transport connections in the world. Gordon and I once got stranded in a rural Norfolk village that felt like an outpost of Stalinist Russia when we were on our way back from this place - and Gordon is meant to be good at navigation.

So when Esther and I decided to make pilgrimage to Walsingham, we had a very interesting time of it - especially as Esther has some of the most severe directional problems of anyone I've ever seen and I can never remember many instructions. We managed to get within four, five, or maybe even six miles of the place on a bus (the signposts were all contradictory) and from then on we walked. With suitcases. I had absolutely no clue where we going and I don't think Esther did either, but we are both very good at pretending. Then we found ourselves in a little village square and wondered if this was the right village. Thankfully it was.

The man in the pilgrims' lodge didn't seem to believe us when we said we had walked in. Funny, that.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Lawzy » Wed May 09, 2007 7:23 pm

I get lost all the time, I've always been told it's cause I have no sense of direction?

Is this part of dyspraxia then?
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu May 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Yes, it certainly is!
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips