Headaches

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Headaches

Postby Pie » Wed May 02, 2007 12:42 pm

:shock: I'm Pie - I'm 8 years old and I have been diagnosed with Mild dyspraxia.
I get a lot of headaches but they can't find anything wrong with my eyes.
Do any of you guys get headaches a lot.
I feel sick a lot when I wake up too. :oops:
Sweetie Pie, Honey Pie. xxx

Life is a box of Chocolates - You're not going to like everyone but the Good ones ALWAYS outweigh the Bad.
Pie

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed May 02, 2007 5:32 pm

Hiya. Welcome to DT. I get headaches that make me want to be sick, get them when I am very anxious or worked up and stressed out.

I hope that you manage to find a way forward that is beneficial to you.

Lea
xx
ps I am also in Leeds.
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed May 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Your headaches could be the result of oversensitivity to light and/or sound. Buy earplugs to wear in noisy places and wear sunglasses to help you cope with bright lights.

Make sure you get enough sleep, have enough drinks, don't have too much caffeine and try some of the stress-busting tips on this forum. If none of those help, visit your GP.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Ross Millar » Wed May 02, 2007 10:51 pm

To add on further to the previous comment, yes headaches could be to do more so to being over sensitive to light. Do you find reading printed words uncomfortable? It might be a good idea to go for an eye test and find out about colloured lenses for light sensitivity especally making reading uncomfortable (also known as scotoptic sensitivity).

A major cause of headaches is due to the eyes but also the other 4 senses can play a part to.

You can now also order colloured see through plastic sheets which you can put over paper to read text which may also be helpful to. This is fairly cheap and good can be good for reading anyway.

If your concerned about headaches then yes, see your doctor.
Ross Millar
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Wed May 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Esther, Lea, and Ross have given very good advice. You might have something called scotopic sensitivity (also known as Irlen Syndrome). You can be assessed for this by an optometrist, who will give you a special kind of eye test involving coloured filters, or you can make an appointment at the nearest Irlen Centre.

www.irlen.org.uk

Quite a few dyspraxic people also have Irlen Syndrome, so it is worth checking out. I have a pair of Irlen lenses that I often wear on public transport, as they help me to cope with crowds and to process sensory information better. I am less likely to have a panic attack if I am wearing them.

I may look like something out of the Wizard of Oz but they work for me! (Note: this photo was taken in the aftermath of a spurt of anxiety and so I am not quite my usual attractive self.)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Syrons » Thu May 03, 2007 11:31 pm

Hiya

I have to say i used to have headaches all the time your age!! and the only thing i can say is what has been said above. wear sunglasses it does help, also loud enivroments give me slight headaches. also concentrating to hard, like playing ps3 for too long can make my head really ache and other peoples music can make my head go mad. If you have the same trouble, The only thing i can reccommed is take a 5minute break away from the sithation and go to a quiet place relax and drink fresh water! ha normally this can make me feel better and get me through my day at collage!

All i can say really is it does get better when you get older i think :)

Ian
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby invisifish » Fri May 04, 2007 7:25 pm

noises and bright light give me head aches and make me feel sick.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby carebear15 » Fri May 04, 2007 9:56 pm

i had my eyes checked this year and the place found out something. One thing is i do not like lights shining in my eyes and it hurts, and also they notice my eyes roll when they do that and it is hard for me so they have to use a different light. So i am sensitive to light,sound,hearing,touch,smell,taste.
Like one time i tried something it was some thing i can't remember but i had it in my mouth and it was so horrible and i spit it all out in a napkin. and went to the bathroom o wash my mouth out, it was horrible.

sometimes my headaches go on and on and take all the headache pills you can take and doesn't help, and i have to wear a sweatshirt around my waist because it makes me feel secure.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby EmmaPrincess » Fri May 04, 2007 11:26 pm

well sometimes, not all the time, if i go on the computer, i get headaches, but its very erratic, and can happen for a few days and then go away.

i had them a couple of weeks ago, and now, i dont have them and i dont feel any headaches.

i already have bad eyesight and have to wear glasses, im long sighted, different from the whole of my family, could my eyes have anything to do with it?

i dont spend loads of time on the computer, its usually spread out through the evening.

so its not like those weeks when i was getting headaches, i was on for longer, just, it happens and then it dosnt. :?
EmmaPrincess
Forum Master

Postby Page » Tue May 08, 2007 9:18 pm

For me, sunglasses are ESSENTIAL.

I can't go out in daylight without them.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:41 pm

I have a few headaches, but not so that severe and only occasionally.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Philip » Wed May 09, 2007 3:05 pm

I do get headaches every now and again, I used to get more when I was at school

I have to have a brain scan every two years for another condition which is not serious but there need to keep an eye inside the head/brain

I get the odd headache when my pillow becomes too soft or when I have too much hair on my head
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby cookie-monster » Wed May 09, 2007 7:09 pm

I used to suffer from cluster headaches, the first time i had my eyes tested they were fine, next time i needed glasses

I still get headaches now and again
cookie-monster
Mega Poster

Postby intowiz » Thu May 10, 2007 5:21 pm

my doctor has perscibed me a hundred painkillers for my cluster headaches. so ive had to drink less at partys and weed to a small dosage each month (which is my normal amount anyway) so as to make sure i dont fly to high.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Headaches

Postby holster » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:33 pm

I have coloured glasses too which took away most of my headaches, also I have over sensivity to touch and taste which can also trigger headaches, so maybe its worth checking that out too xxx
holster

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips