How to study?

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

How to study?

Postby Fortnox » Wed May 16, 2007 9:15 pm

Honestly, I've never studied a day in my life. But now I'm at study leave I can see why they wanted me to study for pointless things back in year 6 and 7- so that when I really needed to study, I'd know how.
My first exam is Eng Lit on the 22nd, and I have no idea how to revise for it. The only one I am prepaired to revise for is Maths, I got this weird site Mathiletics, the school gave us all users to go study maths on it, should be useful. That and the plentiful revision maths notes- but Maths counts for jack squat because they put me in foundation so I can't get anything more than a D :/
Still, I've been on study leave for 3 days now and all I've done is play games, chat and make an Excel exam timetable. Any tips? :S
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Lucy_Rush » Wed May 16, 2007 9:59 pm

1. find out whats going to be on the exam. What the papers going to be like,what sort of questions/topics will be asked etc. If you have past papers you can find this out from there.

2. Go through the paper/topics/whatever, and work through some practise questions for things like math, science etc. or making/reading notes on the books/toics for other subjects like english.

3. read through the notes you have, copy them out, spider diagram, revision cards, saying stuff out loud, whatever works for you.

4. Practise answering questons. Either from the internet revision sites, revision guides, question you did in class, past papers, wherever. Or for enlish maybe read through any essays you've done before. otice what you did well/got good marks for, and read any points you could hve improved on. Then try to improve on the points you're not too good on in your revision + exams.

Good luck. I'm sure others will add some more usefull advice if mine was just a load of waffle tho!

My exams start tomorrow. I have the "why didnt i start revising ages ago" feeling right now. Statistics exam tomorrow. Fun FUn Fun. :D Luce
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby C » Thu May 17, 2007 2:46 pm

Lucy gives some good advice. Lucy, I know the feeling, I have a statistics exam coming up soon too! :cry: :cry: :cry: What course are you doing?

I think getting hold of past papers is a really good idea as you get to know what the format is like etc. On my course, they often ask similiar questions each year. the internet can be good for revision but it is easy to get sidetracked (I came on the internet to help with biological psychology revision and I ended up on here :oops: ). Getting somebody else to test you helps as well. Some people find it helps to revise with someone else (I personally don't find it helps me but it may help you) but again, don't get sidetracked. Revision cards with key terms as useful; a highlighter pen can come in useful to highlight key things you want to remember; highlighting in different colours often helps. Setting yourself your own 'mini questions' may aid your revision; after doing a topic make up some questions about that topic and then go back to the questions later and see if you can answer them.

If your concentration is bad, try revising in short blocks; such ten minutes to half an hour then have a little break then go back. Be strict with yourself; make sure the break really is little and doesn't go on the whole day!

Good luck with your revision.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Lucy_Rush » Thu May 17, 2007 3:06 pm

C: i do a Maths + Statistics course. So it really is my own choice to do the stats. i enjoy it, all year, but not the learning formulas etc. I got ANOVA fine in the exam this morning though. :D I find the maths harder than the stats though. Hope your stats exam goes well C, and good luck with the revision fortnox
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby invisifish » Fri May 18, 2007 7:06 pm

I can´t studay at all, it just makes me to nervous to actualy survive the exam. I never study. i still get good marks, but studdying seems to make everything leave my mind.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby eastlondonluke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:32 pm

study leaves,soooo boring,a wayst of ma time but works for some though but i don't ever study at all,it's to much concentration and its boring

i don't regret it at all :twisted: :twisted:
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Return to Study Support