Exam stress!

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby eoakley » Tue May 08, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi all
I am also a bit worried about my forth comming uni exams I just hope I can fit some revision time in got to sit my exams on the 21 and 24 of may
also have a 3000 word essay due in on the 21 havent started it yet i have been doing an other 3000 word portfolio which is due in friday which is almost finished cant wait till i actually finish it ill dance around my room.

I just want to wish everyone good luck with all there exams

Emma
eoakley
Super Poster

Postby Lucy_Rush » Tue May 08, 2007 10:42 pm

oops. i just said that i'd work all day weds, thurs, fri, sat. i also have cu wednesday evening and lectures thursday evening. seen as i also worked tuesday (today), and am busy sunday, it looks like the starting of my revision may be being put off till monday. ufortunately that leaves mewith 3 days to (first learn), then revise 3 whole modules. hmm. i think i should have thought this through first before saying "yes of course i'll work". (i like work). i to will be happy come the end of my exams. (21st may. less than 2 weeks til the end) - a scary thought at ho soon that is tho.

i'll join in the daning round my room in excitement when they're done! (although i already miss uni and havent even left for the summer yet!!) : :D
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Sun May 13, 2007 3:05 pm

I have finished all my exams now-my last one was on the 8th of May but I'm not sure how well I did in them! I got my latest 2 essay marks back the night before my second exam which was on the 3rd of May-they were both low thirds-a 40 and a 42-I was really shocked and cried for almost 2 hours! I just couldn't believe it particularly as my previous essay marks were all in the mid to high 60s! I have consulted my seminar leader over the one which I got a 40 for and she said it was because I didn't answer the specific question in the essay title and went on too many tangents ehich is how I am anyway. This knocked my confidence and so I ended up going into the exam really not caring because it will be so hard to maintain a decent grade-hopefully I did well but another problem I have is organising my time even with extra time-I do all the questions in chronological order due to my obsessive need to keep things in order and often the topics which I am strongest on are the last in the order so I can't express what I truly know because, by the time I get there, I only have 25 minutes to write the answer! A fellow dyspraxic on Facebook suggested that I invest in a silent flashing alarm which will remind me to go on to the next question ensuring I spend an equal amount of time on each one!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby C » Sun May 13, 2007 5:07 pm

I'm sorry to hear about everyone else's exam stress. Glad I'm not the only one though!!!

Steph, I'm sorry about your recent experiences. Try not to get too upset - if your previous essay marks were good then that shows you have potential. I sympathise with your timing issues - it is a nightmare to prioritise the time in exams. Can you resit your over the summer if you don't do well?

I'm slightly worried because I have a cold and my whole family have flu! I really don't want to be ill this week - I have my first exam on Wednesday morning and then another one on Thursday morning next week (two more to follow, spread out over the following two weeks). I've been really obsessional lately, drawing up exam timetables that even allocate time for eating, going to the toilet and sleep then getting irritated with myself for not sticking to them. I was babysitting til late last night and overslept until 10.15 this morning! That irritated me because I'd planned to be doing revision from 9.30 am at the latest. People just don't seem to understand it, I had the following conversatino with my dad and sister this morning:

Me: (pacing around and getting breakfast and muttering to myself) Now I need to do... I think I'll do language and mind then cognitive psychology for my revision this morning, oh but I don't have enough time...

My sister: (looking up from her GCSE revision textbook) Huh?

Me: Nothing. Talking to myself. Now I need to eat breakfast quickly

Dad: Why are you in such a rush?

Me: I'm late with my revision. I meant to start earlier but I overslept. I can't believe I overslept.

Dad: (coughs as he has the flu) (muttering) Oh get over it, Char
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun May 13, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi. Yes I can resit over the summer in August time if I don't do well-hopefully that won't happen because I'm not sure about the policy at other unis but at Kent you cannot get above 40 in the retakes so really it's only for people who fail rather than perform below expectations if you get what I mean. They don't want people to be able to get high in the retakes because they feel it gives people less of an incentive to work hard for the original exams if they know they have the retake to fall back on. I hope you are not ill during exam week-it is good that you are revising but try to give yourself some time for relaxation as well-your body obviously needed that lie in and if you don't make time for relaxation, you will end up making yourself ill and then not peform the best you can in exams. Best of luck with them-I hope I haven't offended you with this post-I have Aspergers too and so find it very hard to know if what I'm saying is appropriate or not.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby C » Thu May 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi Steph, your post did not offend me in the slightest, I found it really helpful; it is important to make time for relaxation :D I hope that your exams went well. If I have to retake over the summer I can get over 40% and in terms of my exams this year I only have to get 40% and I'm trhough to next year - they don't officially 'count' for any of my final grade, providing I get 40% then I'm doing okay (although I want to get more than 40% in them for my own personal sense of achievement and happiness).

I am halfway there now - have done two of the four exams! Didn't seem to be going too badly. I didn't freak out like I thought I might and I seemed to have plenty to write - I just hope it's all relevant! I got to use a computer in a room with only a few other students so that's good, it really does make a difference. I did one exam yesterday and one today. The one today went on for three-and-three-quarter hours; I felt exhausted when I came out! I really needed the extra time though, I only just finished in time. I'm just worried about the exam I've got next Thursday, it's biological psychology and I don't know the first thing about it. The paper I've got from 2005-6 looks so nasty; describe the functional anatomy of the mesencephalon, describe the topography and the major function of the dopamine (DA)system in the brain ... say what?!!!

Good luck to anyone doing exams :D
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Lucy_Rush » Thu May 17, 2007 2:59 pm

i had my first exam this morning. went mostly ok. i remembered all the formulae, answered all the questions (even though only the best 5 out of 7 will count), and am only worried about the amount of calculator errors i made in my working out, as i only got as far as checking the first 2 questions, and they had lots of little working-out errors. its hopefully going to be ok though, and i'm pretty sure i passed it relatively well.

however, i have another exam tomorrow morning. i havent done any revision for it at all, and its a module that i dont like and havent really understood all year. i'm tired, my brains tired, and my hands tired. i sooo can't be bothered starting revision now. just feel like going home and sleeping or something. but on the other hand i really want to do well in this module, as if i passed well in todays exam (which i think is the case), i don't want to let myself down by failing tomorrows exam, as that would just bring my average right down.

i know theres always the resit so i'm not stressed or anything. but the max resit mark you can get is 40%. sooo. its gonna be forced revision all evening i hope. :( will be glad come tomorrow when i can start revising for something i enjoy a little more. :D Lucy
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 pm

C, I am amazed at your degree-I am completely in awe of you as it sounds way too difficult for me! I hope you do well in your exams and I also wish good luck to anyone else who is currently taking exams.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby bpcooper » Thu May 17, 2007 3:53 pm

Lucy_Rush wrote:i had my first exam this morning. went mostly ok. i remembered all the formulae, answered all the questions (even though only the best 5 out of 7 will count), and am only worried about the amount of calculator errors i made in my working out, as i only got as far as checking the first 2 questions, and they had lots of little working-out errors. its hopefully going to be ok though, and i'm pretty sure i passed it relatively well.

however, i have another exam tomorrow morning. i havent done any revision for it at all, and its a module that i dont like and havent really understood all year. i'm tired, my brains tired, and my hands tired. i sooo can't be bothered starting revision now. just feel like going home and sleeping or something. but on the other hand i really want to do well in this module, as if i passed well in todays exam (which i think is the case), i don't want to let myself down by failing tomorrows exam, as that would just bring my average right down.

i know theres always the resit so i'm not stressed or anything. but the max resit mark you can get is 40%. sooo. its gonna be forced revision all evening i hope. :( will be glad come tomorrow when i can start revising for something i enjoy a little more. :D Lucy

Don't u get extra time then???
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu May 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Getting extra time doesn't stop people from feeling tired and stressed during exams, Ben. Even 'normal' students get that.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu May 17, 2007 8:14 pm

I had to do a physics exam today without extra time (it wasn't allowed -stupid system). It was difficult as my lack of manual skill meant i took a lot longer on the practical section that i should have.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Katielauren2001 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:21 pm

I have just started my first year exams which aren't very hard but still stressful.I have passed them all so far, so I'm ok.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Lucy_Rush » Fri May 18, 2007 1:35 pm

yes i do get extra time ben. :) i found today that most people on my modules have found it a struggle to finish the exams in the time given, not just me. my exam this morning didnt go as horribly as i expected. :D Makes me feel happy. Just 1 more to go. Yay! Got to spend this weekend learning that module, (haven't started revision for it yet, but i have the whole weekend), and then its summer! Yay!
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri May 18, 2007 3:55 pm

I'm glad yopur eams went well. :) Well done!
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby C » Fri May 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Yeah, I'm glad your exams went well, Lucy.

Steph, my degree isn't really that difficult - bio is by far the worst thing I have to revise; too much terminology and sciency stuff. The rest of it I find really interesting - even statistics is better than I thought it would be! And first years only have lectures for around eleven hours per week so good year for me :D
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Study Support