Maths

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Maths

Postby parnassus » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:30 am

Hello everyone,

I have really bad problems with maths. I get numbers muddled up, flip them upside down, and see them backwards. The Dyspraxia Foundation lists 'reversal or omission of figures' in its list of symptoms. I also have difficulty actually applying mathematical concepts (for instance, I sometimes add when I should divide or forget all the procedures). Does anyone else have these problems? Are they part of dyspraxia on its own, or is this an overlap with dyslexia that I am experiencing? I don't see how, as my reading and spelling skills are very good.

Anyway, I have a friend who has worked out a new numerical system to help me to read numbers. If there is anyone else on here who suffers from this problem, I will ask him if I can post the system on here. What do you think? Would it help you?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Chaz » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi,

I am retaking maths GCSE this year (I must be mad) and will welcome anything to make maths a little easier for me!!!

It's nto so much numbers I struggle with (although I struggle with them too) it's shape and space. I have problems with mathematical concepts though, I have just completed some homework on multiplying/dividing etc. fractions and completed it correctly when refering to my work but then looked at it and didn't have a clue how I'd done it. I get so confused!
Chaz

Postby Helen » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:28 pm

Difficulty with maths or sequencing is sometimes referred to as 'dyscalculia'. It is not uncommon for individuals with dyspraxia to have maths difficulties. Matt struggles with maths too and it has always been his weakest subject. He seems unable to hold the stages of a calculation in his head and so easily loses where he has got to. He too forgets mathematical procedures, so that although today he may be able to calculate a percentage of a number, for example, tomorrow the skill will be lost to him.
Would be very interested to see the numerical system your friend has devised, Vicky, so please do post it if he is happy for you to do so.
Charlotte, all the best with your maths GCSE :)

good to see that people are using this board again.........has been very quiet over the summer. 8)

Take care,
Helen x
Last edited by Helen on Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helen
Mega Poster

hi

Postby k9ruby » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:03 pm

I am retaking maths GCSE this year (I must be mad) and will welcome anything to make maths a little easier for me!!!

Sneak in a caculater :P ok then, thinking about it, maybe not! :) :D :lol: :roll:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Chaz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:21 pm

Thank-you Helen :D

Maths isn't going particulary well at the moment, in fact it's going completely the opposite of well. I'm not understanding much in lessons and what I do understand I forget almost straight away. My teacher isn't very good at explaining things and goes through about ten topics in one lesson, one after the other so we are all confused and don't understand by the end. He also seems to forget that I do have other commitments (Level 3 childcare course, saturday job etc.) by giving us so much homework it makes me want to scream!!! I think I start my coursework the week after next too! :cry:

Charlotte xx
Chaz

Postby mattie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:21 am

I'm good at maths when it can be learnt by set rules. However, I find concepts and understanding them much more difficult and have struggled with that a lot at uni (I'm struggling with my course!)

I also suffer from dyspraxia. I got an A grade in A Level maths so if you need help send me a PM and I'll help. As I said , I'm good at maths that can be learnt but hate stuff that requires problem-solving or deep understanding. Anything below degree-level would be fine for me and I would love to help so send me some questions and I promise I'll reply.

Mattie
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Re

Postby Esioul » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:11 am

I have never been able to understand maths, although I have been trying for years- I still can't even tell the time or add up. However, my school refused to beleive that I had discalculia, so I have never had help from them for it.
Esioul
Forum Master

Postby Chaz » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:29 pm

Hello Mattie and Esioul,

Mattie, that's a very kind offer, I could really do with some help at the moment. I don't want to ask my teacher and I'm fed up of asking my dad for help. He's good at helping me but he gets irritated and so do I. I can't really ask my mum because she's useless at maths too! A Level Maths eh? Wish I had that brain!!! I don't have any questions at the moment but I might PM you later if I get stuck if you don't mind. It's very nice of you :D
Chaz

Postby MA16 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:46 pm

I struggle with Maths too. I couldnt divide until I was 13 and I still cant do long division and I am 17. I know absolutely nothing about area & perimeter, fractions still confuse me sometimes too.
However i had a great teacher last year for GCSE, who was happy to go everything about a million times, and I ended up with a D, but I think I'm retaking it next year.
MA16

Postby chrismalaga » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:37 pm

I expereience difficulties with maths too. I have trouble with Algebra and shapes especially. :D
Chris Emms
chrismalaga

Postby SomeT » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:26 pm

Algebra and simple maths like 4+4 I have really bad trouble with but complex maths like maths thats sometimes involved in computer programming and adding bills up etc I can do for some reason, but when it comes to something like 4+4 its take me ages to figure it out because I get so confused, because I can not prove I have dyspraxia as of yet aswell, I find it hard to get support for this, and because I only fount out about dyspraxia about 4 or 5 months ago I have not passed a single maths qualification in my life, I have took 5 different maths qualifications and failed them all because of things like alegebra. I also have trouble writing the numbers 1,7,2 and 5 I can enver get them looking right.
SomeT
Power Poster

Postby Ann Ony-Mous » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:17 pm

My maths teacher isn't quite sure what to do with me.

My numerical skills are good but when it comes to shape, coordinates and symmetry...oh dear!
When the going gets tough...the tough get going.
Ann Ony-Mous
Advanced Member

Math is HARD

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:55 am

Math is hard, PERIOD.! I don't like it at all. Unfortunately, I have to take a lot of it to become a biology major here in Illinois :( Oh, well. Any help with math strategies would be great. I'm not in it right now, but I may take it in the summer.

Shanna :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:21 pm

Shanna, I had to attend an American school for nearly a year (I'm English, by the way) and the curriculum made me very miserable. At the age of fourteen in Britain, we choose our GCSE options. Maths, English Language, Literature, two science subjects, and a modern foreign language are compulsory, but you then pick four subjects that you like - mine were Religious Studies, history, Latin, and drama. At the age of sixteen, you have to take three or four A-Levels (more if you are intellectually able enough) but there are no compulsory subjects. I dropped maths and the sciences like a hot potato and now take Literature, English Language (though the latter is quite scientific at this level) French, Religious Studies, and Psychology.

At the American school, everyone had to take mandatory maths and science courses right the way up to the top grade! :shock: I really dislike this system, as it means that a.) your weak subjects pull your G.P.A down and don't give a true picture of your abilities, and b.) you can't burrow deep enough into the subjects that you are good at, as the mandatory courses take up so much time. The American curriculum is definitely broader in terms of the number of subjects they make you take, but the topics aren't covered in enough detail to satisfy me.

I feel for you. Any more maths, and I would have gone mad. :? Emigrate to England, you know you want to... :D
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:31 pm

England would be TOTALLY AWESOME!! I've never been there, but seeing as I do not like how America is being run in certain areas right now (not a big fan of the war in Iraq :shock: -no offense to anyone who is for it), maybe someday I will! :D

The Coolest Cub Fan,
Shanna 8)
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Study Support