Exam stress!

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby C » Sat May 26, 2007 11:43 am

I'm stressed again! Had my biological psychology exam on thursday and I'm pretty sure I failed! You have to answer two questions in total; one from a choice of three from the first section and one from a choice of three from the second section. I suspected I'd find the second section okay and the first section difficult. I think deep down I knew I'd really struggled with certain aspects of bio all semester but I just kept telling myself not to worry because I know if you're in a negative mood that just makes everything worse. Deep down though I just had this feeling I wouldn't be able to answer any of the questions from the first section and I was right...

When I looked at the first questions my heart sank. They were the following:

1. Describe the two major classes of neurotransmitters in the brain and their different mechanisms of action

2. Compare and contrast the functioning of ionotrophic and metabotropic receptors

3. What are the functional differences between primary, secondary and association cortices in the brain?

I went onto the second section first and started answering that question but I just couldn't concentrate because I was worrying about the first section. We've been told that if only one question is answered; even if your answer is very good; the highest grade possible you will still fail. So I knew I had to answer one question but I didn't understand any of them; I'd been revising all the wrong stuff; about neurons and the limbic system and it all seemed terribly unfair because I'd done so much revision and all for nothing. In the end I answered question ne; I said the two neurotransmitters were small-molecule and peptides although I haven't got a clue if that's right or not then I started blabbering on about different parts of the neuron even though I know that's not relevant. I just felt I had to put something! Looking back I should have answered questino three because I know the association cortex consists of the four lobes and the limbic system; I just don't know what the primary and secondary cortices are!

I know it's probably not worth thinking about now; it's over now. I feel I will have to resit but I'm worried the same thing will happen again; I find bio interesting but I understand very little of it!!! I tried explaining to the study support people at Uni that I was finding the bio revision hard but she just said I'd be fine and then cancelled my study support sessions saying I didn't need them! I don't know whether to get back into contact with the study support people now or maybe email my tutor and tell him about the situation. My dad suggested maybe getting some special tutoring in biological psychology which I think is a good idea as I have to take bio next year as well.

I think I should just concentrate on revision for statistics, which is my last exam, taking place on Friday. But I think I will have to resit and if I fail that then there really is nothing to stop them chucking me out; regardless of how good my gardes are for other subjects :cry:
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:55 am

When things like this happen I remind myself of one of Jesus' teachings: "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." There's a lot of wisdom in there. I get a queasy feeling in my stomach when I think of one or two of the exams I've taken this week, as I took some liberties with the questions and was quite underprepared. But now is not the time to think about that. If I've done poorly - I'll just take it as it comes. For now, I need to rest and get back into normal sleeping habits again.

The same is true of you. Sometimes the greatest good is achieved by focusing on the small things. Concentrate only on what you can do in this present moment. I got into a bad state over Christmastime because I was overtired and worried. On average, I was having two bad anxiety attacks a day (of the sort that require me to go to bed to recover) and I was frightened of returning to Cambridge. You wrote me a very kind message during my first week back at uni, I remember. Now it is time for you take your own advice. Over the course of the holiday, when you have enough room to breathe, arrange for some more support. The special tutoring sounds like a good idea. For now, just focus on resting yourself for your last exam.

And after your last exam - come and visit. :)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Bladen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28 am

had 3 AS Geography papers, I think I pretty much failed them but I don't care, I've learned all I can and I aint going back to the course next year.
AS Archaeology on Tuesday, it's going to be trciky but if I can remember the key words It'll be easy especially with 50% extra time.

GCSE Chemistry is annoying, I know the date but not the time the exam is at and if it's on the afternoon and I wake up in the morning and go in, some heads are gonna roll.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:04 am

Good luck with your exams Bladen, and good luck with anybody taking GCSEs as well. My sister is taking hers at the moment too.

I emailed the disabled students co-ordinator regarding my biological psychology exam about a week ago and she still hasn't replied - I'm trying to decide whether or not to email my tutor (who is actually not my tutor anymore seeing as he's a first year tutor and the first year is now over!) The statistics exam went okay in the end - I saw my statistics teacher beforehand and she was really nice; she told me not to worry and to stay calm. It's such a shame about bio because all the other exams seem to have gone okay!!! I saw some frends after the stats exam and they said that everybody said the same about bio - everyone had found it hard. That made me feel a little better.

All the exams are over now (til the resits!!!!!!!!!!) Yay :D :D :D Vicky, your advice was very good but I just don't know how to arrange for more support with the disabled student's co-ordinator not contacting me anf my tutor not really being my tutor anymore! And now my last exam is over (and yours are probably over as well) I'd love to come and visit...or would you like to visit me? My mums moved now though by the way, she lives in Hertford, about a 40 minute car journey away.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:10 pm

My first exam is on Friday. I spent most of yesterday quite upset and worried (about that and other things) but I'm calmer now.

Good luck to all the other exam takers and well done to all those who've already got through them.

Bladen, I suggest you phone your college and ask about the time of your Chemistry exam.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Dork_Lord » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:30 pm

I just finished my biology exams, which were a lot easier than I had expected. Only got four more exams to go, two chemistry, one mechanics and one physics exam. I need to either see a special needs teacher (difficult, the SENco has been sick for months, and the other special needs teachers are too busy with other pupils) or get the exam co-ordinator to let me use his laptop again (like I did today).
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:38 pm

My first exam is on Friday. I spent most of yesterday quite upset and worried (about that and other things) but I'm calmer now.

I am sure they will go fine. :) I know how stressful exams can be though. :? Mine are almost over now. :)

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:17 pm

Good luck for Friday, Esther! :D
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby druchi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:20 pm

good luck Esther hope you do well
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:48 am

Your scapular will be with you by then. Don't forget to wear it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby eastlondonluke » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 pm

Dont let da presure get you cause da same things dat distress you mighit dipress you
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Previous

Return to Study Support