Maths

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby medrich11 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:33 pm

For some reason I am brilliant at all kinds of maths
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby medrich11 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:55 pm

scrap that. I am absolutely rubbish at shapes.
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby mattie » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 am

If anyone needs any help with maths I promise I'll help. Just send me a PM or post on this thread.

Matt.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby lucinda » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:11 am

I have an A at GCSE maths, but I could never understand Algebra. It causes me so many problems, because I never understood the concept of letters standing in for numbers. Also, I can spell really well when writing, but I can't read out the letters in a word and I'm not great with the alphabet. I think I am good with words but bad with individual letters. I also never understood the graphs involved in Maths, but other stuff I got pretty easily. Anyway, I have my A at GCSE, and I worked really hard for that, so I've now given up Maths :)
lucinda

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:03 am

Ditto.

Only I got a C...which I am overjoyed with, because the infuriating subject turned my brain into mashed potato and I'm amazed that I managed to get anything right! :D
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Lilith » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:57 pm

I also got a 'C' for my maths GCSE. This was after a lot of hard work and the help of a tutor. Though I can do basic day to day stuff like calculate my shopping bill I'm never going to be the next John Nash (the nobel prize winning mathmatician who inspired the film 'A Beautiful Mind'). I thought I'd escaped it forever, unfortunately I'm currently doing a compulsory statistics unit as part of my degree (that'll teach me not to read the course outline properly when I applied!)
Lilith

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:48 pm

It is hard for me to do even some day to day math sometimes.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Lilith » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:04 am

Hermionefan5 wrote:It is hard for me to do even some day to day math sometimes.

What do you find most difficult? Is it doing things that require a good level spatial awareness and co-ordination (for example measuring a room to calculate how much paint you need to buy to paint it?) Or is it things which require the sort of memory skills that dyspraxic people often have difficulties? For example remembering all the items for adding up your shopping bill? I find this most tricky when I'm also trying to negotiate a trolley through a busy supermarket (too many bright lights, irritating beeping noises,shelves to knock into and people to avoid running over! Asda on a Saturday afternoon was not designed for dyspraxic people!)

If it's the latter then this is what I do, I don't know if it'll help but it might be worth a try. :)
Firstly, taking the example of shopping try and go when it's quiet if possible (one of my housemates drives and will take us to Tesco at 9 o clock on a Tuesday night. Not the most rock and roll to spend an evening but at least it means a)I don't get too overwhelmed and end up having a panic attack and b) I'm less likely to bump into anything. )
Secondly, take a pad and pen with you to make a running total of how much things cost. No one will look at you oddly as they'll just assume it's a shopping list.
Thirdly, If you have a photographic memory then use it! If I'm only buying a few things I can often remember how much they were because I can visualise the price tag on the shelf.Particularly if it's something i buy a lot.
On a more general note.
Forthly if you find you can't add things in your head use the calculator function on your mobile phone. People will just assume you're sending a text message.
Finally,Try and group sets of numbers together so that they are easier to remember. There's something called Miller's magic 7. This is the idea that most people can hold a list of between 5 and 9 items in their short term memory and no more. It's Miller's magic 7 because it's 7 plus or minus 2). So 3,6,1,5,4,5,6,7,4 might be easier to cope with if you add them together. For example 3+6+1 is 10 5+4+5 is 14 and 6+7+4 is 17. So you only have to remember 10,14,17. Or divide them up as 361,545,674.

As for things like P.I.Ns and passcodes: I try and pick them so that they are historical dates which I can remember (usually an unusually gory battle or an important event from the particular period of history which I'm a bit obsessed with).
It's not fool proof but it might help. :D

I think some of these ideas might be in Parnassus' book so my apologies for pilfering them. As I said before, these are just what work for me and if these aren't the things that you have difficulties with then sorry for the lecture.Post what your specific issues are and I will see if I can help.
Lilith

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:15 am

Thanks for the advice, Lilith!! I have trouble mostly with adding things up at the grocery store or McDonalds.

8) :) :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Maths

Postby bibliophile » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:23 pm

parnassus wrote:Anyway, I have a friend who has worked out a new numerical system to help me to read numbers. If there is anyone else on here who suffers from this problem, I will ask him if I can post the system on here. What do you think? Would it help you?

Please could you do this because i copy down questions wrong by mistaking numbers for each other and not realising i've done it such as 2's are 5's or 7's and 6's can either be 8's or 9's my worst is thinking that 1 is 0 if you have anyway to deal with this please can you tell me!
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:06 pm

Me and math dont get on AT ALL.
even to this day I cant do a lot of things and it sucks
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:30 pm

I retook my second maths GCSE paper today and I think it's safe to say that I will not be getting a 'C' second time around! It was just so hard, I understood hardly any of it. It was apsolutely full of shape and space questions and shape and space is my worst area of maths. This made me really nervous and towards the end of the paper I was just so tired I couldn't even think anymore. The first paper (non calculator) wasn't too bad but I knew calculator would be hard; I always find it harder even though you'd think it would be easier. In the non calculator paper they take into account that you don't have a calculator and you get marks for working. Plus calculators only come up with the answer if you know the right questions to put into them!!! All the different buttons etc. just confuse me lol. I'm so cross with myself because I've tried so hard all year to pass second time around and it looks like I'm just gonig to fail again :cry:
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Don't be upset, Charlotte. I was like you with maths and I genuinely thought I had failed my GCSE. My dyslexic friend and I ran to the special needs teacher's office after the exam on the brink of tears. We were convinced that we hadn't passed.

Results Day came, and both of us got a C! To employ a very strange idiom, it's not over until the fat lady sings...
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:51 pm

When I was doing my GCSE Maths the second time round I thought I did badly - both were tough papers - I do not know how I came out with a C
grade at the end
Phil
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:54 am

Bibliophile, apologies for not replying. I didn't see your message.

I'm having difficulty posting the numerical stuff on here because the boarding house does not have a scanner. Short of photographing the piece of paper with a digital camera and putting the photo on here, I can't think of how to put it on here...

I will work something out!
parnassus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Study Support