The subject you enjoy the most

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Which subject(s) do you enjoy the most?

English
14%
Languages (e.g. French and Spanish)
3%
Sciences (e.g. physics and chemistry)
11%
Humanities (e.g. history, geography, and RS)
9%
Maths
11%
Art
3%
Information Technology
9%
Other
23%
More than one of the above
17%

Total votes : 35

The subject you enjoy the most

Postby parnassus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:50 pm

Study Support is usually full of threads about the things we find difficult, which is understandable - it's a place to get help, after all. But sometimes it's useful to think about the stuff we really enjoy. Not necessarily the subjects that we find the easiest or the subjects that we're best at - just the ones that we enjoy the most.

When I was still in school I loved English, history, and Religious Studies. Those were my big three. On Tuesdays in third year (Year 9) we used to have PE, physics, double RS, maths, geography, and double chemistry. Geography would have been all right if the teacher had been able to keep control of the class without bellowing at top volume. He sounded like a roaring waterfall and I was terrified of his lessons. Double RS was the highlight of my day.

Now that I'm studying English at university there is only one thing that I don't enjoy, and that's the study of Function of Criticism. It's all about abstract concepts, which I can't succeed in applying to actual texts no matter how hard I try. I just don't see their relevance. But that's an optional paper this year, so I will never have to take it again. :) As for my favourite areas within my specific subject, I'm really enjoying my two dissertations - one on Holocaust writing and one on literature and religion, specifically mysticism.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby dragoneatscheese » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:00 pm

i love english hopfully i will go it in collage.For what ever reason i can alwells see the 'hidden' meaning to quotes and ill logic
but i dispite maths as it so logic
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Chinagirl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:06 pm

i love media studies. double MS on wednesdays is the highlight of my week
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

lol

Postby k9ruby » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:38 pm

I love IT/Computing/Product design

IT is my best subject, and I have been identified as being exceptional at it by my school :P :oops:

I like computing as well, but its alot more challenging but I do enjoy it.

I also love product design- my imagination has no limits!! :D :D (my teacher does the dangerous machinary for me lol!)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby rachel » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:18 pm

I love drama
rachel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:27 pm

I love Religious Studies and Music (the practical side of it either way, lol) :D
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 pm

English, languages and Humanities are my most enjoyable.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby mel » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 pm

I like all of the subjects that I'm doing at the moment; it's difficult to choose my favourite. I like maths (strangely no one else has put it down :wink: ) when we're not doing statistics (ugh), and computing when we're programming, and german especially when we're doing speaking.
At school, i liked history and english too; much as I'm usually glad not to have masses of essays, it does seem strange to only ever do them in german :wink: .
mel
Super Poster

Postby Henri » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:40 pm

I chose the Humanities option, since I absolutely love studying History and Politics (possibly a Social Science?).

I do genuinely enjoy English Literature though, and judging from my returned essays, I'd say it was the subject I am most proficient in.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:13 am

Erm Social Care (as that is waht my degree is in)
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby ~Jenny~ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:59 pm

I went for more than one because i really enjoy both sciences and languages

My current favourite bit of my degree course (biochemistry) is the genetics stuff we've been doing and we're doing some lectures on proteins next week and I liked them at A level

Also on top of my degree i'm taking Spanish classes which I'm really enjoying as well :D
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Love history and love modern studies
and like computing ;)
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm

History but not too keen on the curriculum side of it, I'm not at all interested in "how Hitler got into power" "How America succeeded and failed" modern history is pretty boring because there's not much to learn. at least with archaeology there's something new being found out about something all the time. Evidence of who we really are where we came from and what things were like then is a hell of a lot more interesting than listen to a teacher babbling about the economic and political aspects of a country's formation.

Earplugs ftw!
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby bpcooper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Music Technology... YAY lol
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:29 pm

Bladen wrote:History but not too keen on the curriculum side of it, I'm not at all interested in "how Hitler got into power" "How America succeeded and failed" modern history is pretty boring because there's not much to learn. at least with archaeology there's something new being found out about something all the time. Evidence of who we really are where we came from and what things were like then is a hell of a lot more interesting than listen to a teacher babbling about the economic and political aspects of a country's formation.

Earplugs ftw!

Modern history is fascinating to me. The problem is with the way it's taught. There are no easy, simple answers to how Hitler rose to power, but the curriculum distills the past and makes it seem as if this question and others like it all have answers that can be memorised and regurgitated in an exam. If you studied the Third Reich outside the classroom I'm sure your interest would deepen, although modern history will probably never hold the same fascination for you that archaeology has. I think that everybody has an affinity for a certain age in history.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Study Support