Bass Guitar Progress

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Bass Guitar Progress

Postby Bladen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:50 pm

My finger tips are rock hard and blistered from the amount of practice I've been doing for this rock school I signed up for at college.

I've been given several exercises such as dominant 7th scales and major/minors.

Problem is I HAVE to use specific fingers for each note that's my problem, my littlest finger will not respond no matter how much I will it, my thumb's too long IMO so I hold the neck awkwardly.

The achievement is that I'm actually learning this stuff bit by bit, I never knew I would find this so easy, it's not like sitting in the class listening to a lecture, music is a lot more fascinating and I am considering doing it full time next year, although I doubt I can get into university the year after as the maximum AS passes I would have is 3. I'm planning on doing archaeology at university and I do not want to travel around the damn country to get in a course. I doubt I'll get into university before I hit 20 anyway so I may have to consider a 4th year in college.

I think the point system is poor on a lot of levels, it doesn't categorize the candidates with a lot of motivation and desire to do well on said courses with very few achievements from the people who have tonnes of achievements and don't have high interest.

What kind of idiocy chooses quantity over quality in these cases?
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:56 pm

I don't think you should have too much trouble with qualifying for a course, as most universities look at more than just grades or points - your outside interests matter too. Your music will count. Well done with the guitar-playing. :)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Bladen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Well if that's the fact then I hope I can get another grade or 2 to back it all up.

my main 2 fingers are rock hard now. I practice up to a total of an hour a day.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:54 pm

Well done. :)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to Study Support