Rosanna's Story

Need help? Feel that you're the only one? Here is all the information you need to survive being a teenager with Dyspraxia!

Rosanna's Story

Postby parnassus » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:09 am

My name is Rosanna (or Rosie or Roz) for short and I'm 20 years old.

I was an 'ordinary' baby meaning that I was reaching all my milestones and that there were no alarm bells. At the age of 22 months, I was taken into hospital with Meningitis HiB which 'wiped' my brain clean.

Although, it didn't take me very long to learn how to walk again, I didn't speak until I was at least three (and even then, my speech was unintelligible for years afterwards).

My parents were clearly worried by my lack of communication at age 3 so I was referred to an educational psychologist. I was diagnosed with Semantic-Pragmatic Language disorder and was immediately statemented.

I lost my statement at age 14 (year 9) because my teachers thought that I was doing too well academically. I ought to have been happy by the news, but I still felt something was missing. I still felt like I needed help in a lot of areas and although I did have couple of close friends, I really did struggle with fitting in. Being told you're the same as everybody else isn't that comforting when you still feel very much the 'odd one out' but I didn't know the true reason at the time why I felt this.Two or three months after I finished my GCSE's, I read about dyspraxia for the very first time and a lot of the symptoms sounded spookily similar to my problems. A few months later I read Caged in Choas which was amazing and I knew for definite that I was dyspraxic but even so I had to go through a formal diagnosis to confirm. My biggest dyspraxic difficulties are clearly my speech problems.

I now work as an admin assistant at Leeds City Council. It's good experience but I won't be doing it for the rest of my life. My job includes phone and reception duties - something that i thought I'd never be able to do. It's obviously not my strength ( I much prefer using a computer) but it is manageable most of the time.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to Dyspraxic Stories