Famous people with dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Famous people with dyspraxia

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:07 pm

Do you know any famous people with dyspraxia? I don't know much but I heard a rumour that one of the Bronte Sisters had it and Ernest Hemingway, I think, I heard had it.
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Maria Bronte was dyspraxic. By her father's admission, she was the cleverest of all the Bronte sisters, only she died very young. (She is the model for Helen Burns in Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.) I wrote a dissertation on autism and Emily Bronte, as Emily had an indisputably autistic profile, complete with typical dyspraxic difficulties. It has also been suggested that her brother Branwell was dyslexic, and there is strong evidence in support of that. The whole family was riddled with learning difficulties.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (the famous poet) and G.K. Chesterton (bestselling author and theologian) also had dyspraxia. Modern-day dyspraxic celebrities include the photographer Richard Bailey and somebody else whose name the Dyspraxia Foundation refused to hand out over the phone.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Syrons » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:06 pm

I would know that somebody, they just reserving the spot for when he does become famous :wink:
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Marco Pierre White, the famous chef, did a magazine interview and, in that, he said he's dyspraxic and dyslexic-I recon his must be quite mild though because there's no way I'd have enough coordination to prepare exquisite meals like he does-I barely have enough coordination to transfer something from the oven to the plate without it going all over the floor!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Cartouche » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 pm

Writers and photographers... :D
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Steph wrote:Marco Pierre White, the famous chef, did a magazine interview and, in that, he said he's dyspraxic and dyslexic-I recon his must be quite mild though because there's no way I'd have enough coordination to prepare exquisite meals like he does-I barely have enough coordination to transfer something from the oven to the plate without it going all over the floor!

Some dyspraxics are gross-motor impaired but not fine-motor impaired.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Oh yeah-I didn't think of that. I always get confused by those terms-does gross motor impaired mean trouble with walking and running and catching a ball-stuff that involves moving your whole body?
Steph
Forum God !

Postby ~Jenny~ » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:47 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_motor_skill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_motor_skills

Those might help although i'm not sure how good the definition is

I don't have many problems with fine motor skills my coordination problems are mostly with gross motor skills and balance
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks Jenny. I am affected in both gross and fine motor skills although I would say my fine motor skills are very badly affected, more so than my gross motor skills! On my assessment report, it said that I had significant difficulties with both fine and gross motor skills but my fine motor deficits are a lot more severe in my opinion.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby carebear15 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:20 pm

www.fragilex.org/html/motor1.htm

try these websites it could explain better.

http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/education/D ... motors.htm

this is some good sites check them out.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks for the links, Jar-those are very helpful websites.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Henri » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 pm

parnassus wrote:
Samuel Taylor Coleridge (the famous poet) and G.K. Chesterton (bestselling author and theologian) also had dyspraxia. Modern-day dyspraxic celebrities include the photographer Richard Bailey and somebody else whose name the Dyspraxia Foundation refused to hand out over the phone.

Do you mean David Bailey? I've never heard of a Richard, but it's possible that there are two famous photographers with the surname Bailey.

Jack Kerouac was also rumoured to be Dyspraxic, and Winston Churchill reportedly showed signs of neurodiversity.

Here is an article on David Bailey : http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 146568.ece[url][/url]
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Cartouche » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:16 am

My gross motor skills are not bad, although I still mess up most types of sports. My fine motor skills are almost non-existant, however. I spent most of every textile lesson trying to get my thread through the needle, and even when I used sewing machines, I got confused in regards to the pedal, and ended up going too fast...and as for food tech...well, my food almost never looked good, but at least it tasted good!
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

yes but with Dyslexia

Postby DJ Arsenal » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:12 pm

Jamie Oliver, Marco Pierre-White, Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Tom Cruise :shock: :?:
The force is strong in this one
DJ Arsenal

Postby M's Mum » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:28 pm

Cartouche, have you tried using a needle threader? eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Needle-Threader_W ... dZViewItem
M's Mum

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat