The Dangers of Dyspraxia: Safety Tips

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat May 05, 2007 10:22 am

I think you need to be around friendly people and you will realise that people aren't so bad. This forum is a good place to start - I love the atmosphere here! Everyone is so nice.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sun May 13, 2007 2:35 pm

I am far too trusting for my own good! I always end up signing money away to people because I get stressed and agitated and to get me out of the situation, I just sign up to whatever scheme it is (I have huge problems with saying No which I need to work on)! Mostly my parents cancel this for me afterwards when I tell them what has happened. Because of my difficulties with saying No, now I just tend to avoid these people in the street-I find they tend not to bother you if you are wearing headphones.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby ace puddy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:12 pm

i dnt do any of tht stuff, cept for like "Use oven gloves to get stuff out the microwave." thats an obvious 1 lol, i walk home from school everyday alone and across 4 roads 1 is a main road. i find it hard to trust any1 tho cos of how badly bullied i was. i dnt do this "Use special cutlery,you can get some from your Occupational Therapist." i try and cope with everything, once you get used to it and practise you should be ok.

and by the way i dnt no if this is jst me but see when i fall now, i dont cry unless its really bad, because i was so used to falling when i was younger. is anyone else like this?

and another thing, i sugest that you get either your brother or sister or one of your parents to help u after school to balance. ask then to hold your hand and balance on one leg, it really imporves your balance i did it when i was about 10, im nearly 16 now and i rarely fall.

There are things your friends can do to help you around the school, if you fall a lot you can ask that at least one of your friends stays with you in case you fall. If you need help with homework, you can ask one of your friends or even a student thats in a higher year than you to help.

remember that there are teachers too, there not just there to be mean but to help. Say your forgetting your school work, you can ask a teacher if at the end of the day you can leave your work in the class room so you know where it is.

Also remember that you parents can help you with homework or even balancing, or revising for tests, you teachers friends and family (and us!) are here to help, so don't be afraid to ask. and if people bully u, jst ignore them they arent worth it, if it gets really bad and they are hitting you, you must go see a teacher. Because no one deserves to get bullied and beaten.
XxX Judy XxX - never give up on a miracle, because when you give up, you give up on a corner of a miracle. :D
ace puddy
Super Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:19 pm

Page wrote:Also, avoid excessive amounts of alcohol if you're dyspraxic. You can probably get away with a glass of a decent pinot noir or chardonnay or the occasional bottle of lager, but avoid any more than that. The reason is that since our balance and coordination is already impaired to begin with, alcohol makes it worse and as a result you can really get hurt.

Good thing I plan to never have any alcohol when I'm older even when it's just a sip. Yeah. I'm like that :lol:
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cartouche » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:21 am

I don't drink much anyhow, largely because of how I'm affected, but also because I can't stomach most spirits and don't like the taste of beer. I still have bad memories from the post-A-level party with my friends where they bought cheap vodka that was much stronger than anyhting I was used to, and I ended up losing control totally, smashed two glasses and was in bed ill for days afterwards. It's only recently I've let myself drink again...although not vodka!
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:25 pm

I got horrendusly ill on a malibu based alchopop (malibu spice they no longer exist) a good few years ago (I was 15 :oops: ) and my friend Gemma's dad still thinks I was travel sick in the back of his car, but to this day the smell of coco nut makes me want to puke - not good
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips