Heyaa

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Heyaa

Postby baybee-gurl69 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:46 am

Hey
I was wondering how old you all were when you found out you were Dyspraxic, i was 8 and the person i had to help me through it did improve alot of problems i had, such as i couldnt bounce a ball and catch it, but after i had someone giving me one 2 one help i really impoved i started playing football and netball out of and in school and even won us a game.

I started to like life again because when i found out i thought i was goin to ie or something.

then i mover to High school i started to hate it again, i got bullied and upset alot.

Love to you all.
xxxxx
Martha xxx wb xxx
Martha Chapman
baybee-gurl69

Postby heathy555 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:46 pm

2 and half i think
heather Lyons
heathy555
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:10 pm

My parents first thought there was some kind of medical problem when I was in nursey school (age 3). A teacher suggested I might be dyspraxic at age 6 and I was officially assessed by a paediatrician at age 7. I had one-on-one occupational therapy and physiotherapy for 2 years. I was also sent to a weekly club, run by OTs and physiotherapists, which helped children with co-ordination problems. We did crsft activities and special games devised by a physiotherapist. We also played memory games. Because most of the children there were extremely severely dyspraxic and had other conditions (usually autism and/or ADHD, one boy also had serious orthopaedic problems) I assumed my dyspraxia was very mild. In fact, I would not have even been sent there if it had been mild.
I did not get as much "official" help as I was eligible in school, but I managed because I got lots of unofficial help, had a good long term memory for text and had a very supportive family. I was not assessed until last November (at aged 19.) The Ed Psych said that I was severely dyspraxic.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Cartouche » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 am

My parents suspected something in Primary school, and I was tested in Year 7, earning me extra time throughought Secondary School and Sixth Form. However, I only got formal assessment in my first year of Uni in late 2005, which pointed out my dyspraxia through, amongst other things, an otherwise ridiculous gap between my mental processing speed (putting me somwhere around the 20th percentile) and my literary skills (in which I am in the top 99.9% apparently)
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi martha it's martha here ;)
I was diagnosed with dyspraxiaand sensory indigration dysfunction when i was 8
and when i transferred to high school i hated it and was bullied, eventually i had to go for two years of counsilling, but im now at the end of my last year of school and feel like i fit in now, it just took time getting used to and people getting used to me.
When i was younger they thought i fell over and refused to get dressed and eat because i was being naughtey and i was nearly referred to a behavoirist ward for 'futhur monitoring' but now of course we know why
take care
feel free to pm me or anything if you fancy a chat
take care martha
xxx
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby druchi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:35 pm

diagnised at 12 maybe 11 cant quite remember and i think im doing o.k for myself at the moment some growing pains and nagging problems but other than that im ok ^^

the support i get is a laptop and extra time
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:52 pm

I believe I was 13 or 14.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby littlemadangel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:13 pm

I was about 14.

Well we knew there was something not quite right from about the age of 7 but were just always told that "it would all come with time"-it didnt.
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat