Relationships and Dyspraxia

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Relationships and Dyspraxia

Postby littlemadangel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Well, yesterday, the boy who I've liked for the best part of a year asked me out for a drink after work. I went. One thing led to another, we ended up kissing, holding hands and swapping phone numbers.

Thing is, am incredibly nervous, he kept asking me if I was okay.
Never had a boyfriend before up to now and this is all alien to me but I like it, want to enjoy it and not be incredibly shaky and nervous the whole time.

Does anybody have any advice or tips for me?
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Sorry-I can't help in this area-got asked out the Sunday before last and then dumped 4 days later because he didn't want a non Catholic girlfriend with disabilities so I'm a bit bitter at the moment :evil: :evil: Best of luck with your relationship though-does he know about your dyspraxia? If not, tell him because he needs to know if he's going to be in a close relationship with you. Just try to keep it cool and enoy yourself getting to know each other even better than you already do! Good luck-I'm rooting for you :D Don't let my story put you off by the way-I'm just cursed when it comes to men! :lol:
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:30 am

I used to be exactly the same, my minds motto literally being "men....run however far as you are possibly allowed...in the opposite direction"
But i don't know weather it's my age (now a few years on) or attitutude or simply having developmed some male companionship that is literally 'friendship' nothing more, has helped me become more acustom to male behavior hence perhaps making it less foreign and frightening for me.
But I think (i know this sounds cliche) the thing that helps me is simply to be myself, i know im probably one of the oddest/eccentric females they may have met but half the time that seems to work to my advantage (guys like odd girls...down in london at least haha) and in the turn of the coin if they become disinterested then it probably wouldn't have worked out anyways, because im not being anything eles then what i am and i dont know why but the knowledge of that fact for me really helps me relax.
Also by the sounds of it if you guys held hands and swapped numbers, it all sounds very positive, that's a good sign. I wish you two the best of luck and i recomend that you take the happiness from this experience and embrace it if and where and whenever it comes, i always used to make relasions with men a negative experience but since i've developed a more positive attitute albeit still with suspicion and some trepidation (sorry guys some of your race have let us down) but overall i guess what im just trying to say is enjoy yourself, best of luck and let me know how it goes, yay! :D
(PM me if you ever need anythings by the way)
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby dragoneatscheese » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:50 am

it sounds postive so
far but if you are nervous why do you speak to him.I would not be too worried as it sounds postive but take it slow
Also enjoy it for what it is
good luck keep us update
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby littlemadangel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:29 pm

We talked about "going out together" back in August and decided it wasnt going to happen cos there was too much difference between us... I wasnt going to give up that easily though. We sorta became closer friends after that and kept emailing eachother and whatever.

It just kinda happened on Wednesday there, we just kept looking at eachother & it just felt right or something.

Plus, I think I'm kinda nervous cos this is the first time I've been out alone with him. Anyother time, its been lots of other people too. And it was just us 2 which was really nice but kinda nervewracking cos you didnt always have other people to keep the chat going.

:D
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:15 pm

*hugs* It's perfectly normal to be nervous littlemadangel.

Steph, that boy doesn't sound very kind. Presumably he knew you weren't Catholic before you started seeing each other. I don't know why that should suddenly start bothering him.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Esther,
Yes he did-his excuse was that he was drunk when things moved into the relationship stage. This was despite the fact that he also saw me when he was sober several times after he asked me out. Oh well-these things happen-they just seem to happen to me more than the majority of people :(
Steph
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:07 pm

You could always turn the tables on him by reminding him that wilfully getting drunk is forbidden in Catholicism. If he's prepared to commit both the sin of gluttony and the much more serious sin of relinquishing his freedom of will for the sake of getting smashed, it's highly unlikely that a religious girl would be much impressed by his Catholic qualifications. Unkind idiot.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

:Z

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 pm

Good idea actually....

littlemadangel, we here at DT are rooting for you!

You've done better than me, and actually managed to get a b/f!!!
:roll: :lol: :lol:

Still 17. Still single :P
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Good idea, Vicky-I might try that next time!
Steph
Forum God !

Re: :Z

Postby littlemadangel » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:53 pm

k9ruby wrote:Good idea actually....

littlemadangel, we here at DT are rooting for you!

You've done better than me, and actually managed to get a b/f!!!
:roll: :lol: :lol:

Still 17. Still single :P

Bear in mind k9ruby, I'm 20 and he's my first! Things like this dont happen to me...
littlemadangel
Super Poster

ok

Postby k9ruby » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:01 pm

:lol:

OK!

Good luck for next time...
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby littlemadangel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:05 pm

things couldnt have went that bad last week, im seeing him again tomorrow
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Postby Barbarian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Good for you littlemadangel, I'm 19, with my first girlfreind at the moment. Been together for nearly 6 months now, in a week. Mind you, it helps that she's not funny about disability at all, being severly dyslexic. When we first got together and we were alone, I would quite literally be shaking, quavering all over. If that isn't nervousness, I don't know what is.....

But I KNOW it sounds incredibly cliche and all, but be yourself and try to relax. It works, trust me. Treat them sort of like you would any other freind, but less chummy and more.... boyfreind-like.

Different things work for different poeple, try what feels right.

Hope it helps
Barbarian

Postby littlemadangel » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:58 pm

I have a problem!

Right we were making arrangements to see eachother this Thursday. And he was like; "My place?" And I just got really freaked out. I dont know why, but I think things are moving a bit fast (I do have a tendency to over-react) For now I just feel more comfortable being out "in public" with him...is that okay??? So I just texted back with; "No usual place". Usual place is the bar.

Please tell me someone understands what am talking about....
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips