Relationships and Dyspraxia

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby intowiz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:04 pm

ok thats ok if you only want to see him in public at the moment. why not suggest somewhere else or maybe go for a walk and talk.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby dragoneatscheese » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:40 am

maybe you feel like it is moving to fast
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Spoon girl » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:23 pm

yeah. It could be that he doesn't mean 'that' at all and just wants to watch a film or something but if you don't feel comfortable then don't go to his. You could always suggest doing something new. Perhaps the cinema or go for a meal? You could even explore the local area together. You can do nice new things together to keep it interesting without going to each others places. Maybe at some point in the future if/when you do want him to go to one of your places you could invite a few of yours/his friends over to yours to watch a film or for some food. That way you will feel safer with people around and the first time you are at one another's house you will not be alone and it won't feel like a big event.

As far as my own relationships go...Next monday I will have been in a relationship for a year. That will make it the longest (and definitely best) relationship I've been in. :D :oops:
The capacity of the body is limited
Yours, mine, everybody's
But the capacity of the soul is unlimited
Your's, mine, everybody's
Spoon girl
Mega Poster

Postby littlemadangel » Sun May 18, 2008 8:30 pm

well i thought id give you a little update being the incredibly cheesy and happy person that i am

2 months and still going really well :D :D :D
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Sun May 18, 2008 8:44 pm

El ~ That is great hun.

Littlemad... ~ Yey for you :)
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Brian » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Well done
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Skinny3600 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Steph wrote:Sorry-I can't help in this area-got asked out the Sunday before last and then dumped 4 days later because he didn't want a non Catholic girlfriend with disabilities so I'm a bit bitter at the moment :evil: :evil: Best of luck with your relationship though-does he know about your dyspraxia? If not, tell him because he needs to know if he's going to be in a close relationship with you. Just try to keep it cool and enoy yourself getting to know each other even better than you already do! Good luck-I'm rooting for you :D Don't let my story put you off by the way-I'm just cursed when it comes to men! :lol:

Where you said "does he know about your dyspraxia" why does he need to know?
Skinny3600
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:39 am

I think, if you are going to be in a relationship with someone which you hope will be serious and long term, your partner will need to know. I don't know about you but certain aspects of my dyspraxia are obvious and make people think I am incredibly strange-eg, sensitivity to certain noises or lights, tactile defensiveness, a general inability to coordinate my limbs etc. I also think it's a point of trust-if I am going to be with someone, I would want them to know everything about me-no secrets-and that includes knowing about dyspraxia. Everybody's different but my personal opinion is that it's better to be honest with people who you hope to have an intimate relationship with.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby kerrianne92 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:54 pm

I agree with steph even if you don't tell him straight away, it is a good thing for him to know.
I didn't tell my boyfriend until we had been going out a few months and I found this has helped as he knows what I have trouble with and tries to help me.
He's even agreed to read Caged in chaos :D which I was quite suprised about as he doesnt read very much.
So if you have the book and he will read it this may be a good idea, as I no talking about a disability at first can be quite awkward.

hope this some help to you =]
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Spoon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:05 am

my partner knew about my dyspraxia before we were together. I am clearly odd and so they were interested in why. I felt able to trust them, to the point of htem being who I spoke to about my panic about going to be tested at university.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:30 pm

I have told many of my long-term friends about "it." You have to be able to trust them with the information first though. I usually wait a while before I can tell them about it. All my friends are very trustworthy and I wouldn't tell them if they weren't. I don't have a boyfriend, but if I did, I would tell him at some point in the relationship when I think it is getting more serious. That is what I would suggest for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/friend.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hazza » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm

dont go there with my relationships...

ive had millions of girlfriends but last year was my first kiss :)

she dumped me because she had found someone else :(

life is hard with relationships especialy when ur a dyspraxic!

i feel for you littlemadangel!

and heres another thing.. im only 13!

:D
David Tennants leaving in 2010! :o:o
Hazza
Advanced Member

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:28 am

A few things,
Steph that guy is an idiot and is looking way too far ahead. Tell him to move to Ireland if he wants a Catholic girlfriend

Parnauss, getting drunk purposely might be forbidden in Catholicism but no one knows and most likely no one cares.
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Brian13 wrote: Parnauss, getting drunk purposely might be forbidden in Catholicism but no one knows and most likely no one cares.

Not many pepole know it's specifically forbidden, but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out from other rules about how to conduct ones self. And of course pepole care if they should or shouldn't do something.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hazza » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 pm

well

religeon is religeon!
David Tennants leaving in 2010! :o:o
Hazza
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips