University experiences

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Postby Rosie-posie » Mon May 19, 2008 9:33 pm

hey *hugs dont worry things will get better. do you get any support at school that may be of benefit to you? Have you told your teachers about problems with homework.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

:(

Postby k9ruby » Tue May 20, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm a bit down today. I had my product design paper today and I run out of time on both of them. The most frustrating thing was knowing I could answer the questions after where I stopped :(.

:cry:

I'm predicted an A in the bloody thing!!!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue May 20, 2008 2:49 pm

*hugs* I have done well on papers I haven't finished in the past. Try not to worry to much. At least it's over now.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby C » Tue May 20, 2008 3:08 pm

Invisifish, I agree with Eoakley; taking an exam a year early is brilliant and you should be very proud. You still have a year of schooling left; is it possible for you to get a tutor to help with your weak subjects? I am the exact opposite of you; good at essays and English, bad at multiple choice and maths and science. I suppose the best tips I can give in terms of exam technique are the always read the questions carefully (I know that sounds obvious!) highlight key words and answer what the question is asking, not just everything you know. Always remember to provide a good introduction and conclusion to essays. The introduction is what will be read first and needs to set a good first impression, the conclusion is what will be read last of all and needs to finish well.

A lot of your post seemed to signal anxiety and stress about the exams. If you do get stressed try to picture nice things or something else happening. If it gets too much in the exam just put your pen down and relax for a few minutes, okay you lose a few minutes of time but it's worth it just to be calm again. Also, if you go blank try writing anything that comes to mind for a few minutes without worrying about whether or not its relevant. Later pick out anything that you think might be slightly worthwhile to include and cross through the end. Above all, try to stay calm.

I can really symphasise with what you are saying about your exams. The last three years of senior school I was (quite literally) on the verge of a nervous breakdown about mine. I never did well academically at school and only got 4 A* to C grades yet I was still able to go to Uni. After school I went to college to study child care. The course was the equivilent of 3 A-levels but it was never my intention to go to Uni afterwards. I also retook my maths GCSE for free on the first year of the course, simply because the option was available and I thought I'd take it. I gained a C, but, again it was never my intention to go to Uni (although without maths I would not have been able to). To my surprise, I really enjoyed the academic side of the child care course and applied to do psychology at University as the psychological side of child care really fascinated me. I did not really expect to get in but have now just finished my second year there, I got a 2.1 average in my exams last year. So I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1. You are doing very well at taking a GCSE a year early. Try to focus on the things you are good at, like maths and science and try your best with the things you're not. I am terrible at things like maths; I needed to retake it and I'd love to have a brain like yours! my sister is also very good at maths but she's said before that she wishes she could write imaginatively like I can! We're all different!

2. And if it's any consulation, my sister is doing her AS levels this year and is very nervous and stressed although she's really bright and is bound to do well (she is completely 'normal', as in no dyspraxia or any specific learning difficulties by the way). So I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone is nervous, it's not just you. When I was doing my GCSEs I thought everyone else was really calm, noone else struggled the way I did, but really they're not!

3. If you don't do that well, it REALLY DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THE END OF THE WORLD! I thought it was when I did my GCSEs because I knew that I couldn't possibly do well at certain things. Yet I went onto do child care that I really enjoyed and was able to retake GCSE maths a few years later, feeling more confident in myself and not bogged down in work and managed to pass. I am now doing well at something else (psychology) I enjoy. So work with your strengths, try hard at school and work at things you are good at. You can always retake exams later.

In terms of my University experience I am quite unusual in that I haven't lived in. I live fairly close to the Uni and, as I applied to Uni in order to work hard and get a good degree and am not in the slightest bit interested in going out every night etc. I thought staying at home would be best. I'll be honest, I was also a bit scared in living alone and having to do things for myself. Sometimes I feel a bit like I've missed out, other times I think I've saved a lot of money.

As far as the support I've received goes I have to say my Uni hasn't been brilliant. Before I started I emailed the disabled students co-ordination enquiring about an up-to date dyspraxia assessment but she never replied! Once I got there I had the assessment (where it turned out I'd got non-verbal learning disorder either as well or instead and my difficulties were far more severe than the 'mild dyspraxia with ADHD tendencies' I was diagnosed with aged six) and then went to see the new (temporary) disabled students co-ordinator the psychology faculty who agreed to extra time on exams and a computer to use for exams. Earlier this year I saw another new (yes, again) disabled students co-ordinatior regarding statistics help who said 'is your dyslexia getting in the way?' and was generally useless, saying that no help could be given because 'we're all very busy, you know.' That's pretty much the only contact I've had with them really, not living in I haven't needed to extra support with housing etc. that most of you have.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

ditto

Postby k9ruby » Tue May 20, 2008 4:24 pm

Ditto what C said.... Try not to worry about it...I know it is easy for me say...
k9ruby
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Study Support