support at uni

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

support at uni

Postby Lucy_Rush » Sun May 25, 2008 10:18 pm

i had my needs assessment for the dsa on friday. It was worthwhile. The person reccomended a whole load of support to help me with my postgrad teaching course in september. I'm glad since it will really help.

Now all i have to do is hope i passed my exams so i actually got onto the course. :D
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Mon May 26, 2008 9:48 am

Im really pleased to hear that :D
Best of luck with all your exams.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:33 pm

When does your PGCE begin, Lucy? Is it this September?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Lucy_Rush » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 pm

my pgce starts on tuesday.

(well technically two weeks after that. but i am doing a 2 week booster course starting tuesday, for 2 weeks directly before the pgce, to revise and refresh the maths for alevel and gcse. the actual pgce carrys straight on from that)
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:03 pm

*hugs* Best of luck. :)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Good luck with it! :D
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Lucy_Rush » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 pm

i'm doing the booster course now. its very intense - we did the whole of all the pure/core modules in the AS level maths course in just 3 days!! it is revision though since i have done most of it before, just new bits have been added since i did alevel.

the course is quite intense 9-5 days, but with as much or as little homework as you like (i'm currently opting for none but will be doing some tomorrow).

it is really good preparation for the teaching course though, since its obviously easier to teach something if you know how to do it yourself! and whilst its a lot of work now, its nothing compared to what the pgce course will be like!

overall its good so far. really usefull and its nice to be back in the classroom and learning again - i actually missed that over the summer!!
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 pm

*hugs* I'm glad this is working.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Lucy_Rush » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 pm

i finally managed to sort my learning support plan out yesterday - something that my tutors will see, which has a list of recomendations for support etc. however at the top of it that says this:

"Dyslexia. Processing of information may take longer as very easily distracted" (followed by a list of support-related things that recomended for me)

the second bits right. the first bit isnt. not sure if thats just wrong, or if thats because i get access to the dyslexia support, and stuff like handouts on coloured paper etc. will have to have a word about it maybe. or just leave it. doesnt make smuch difference since the recomendations for support are the same.

i also (quite productive day yesterday!), sorted out an appointment for the stage 2 screening for irlen syndrome - the tinted lenses testing. has taken me a month to decide to ring them to make the appointment. they are however full till december now. so i made an apointment for then. will take a whole day aparently. :S

and i chased up about my study skills tutor (suposed to be to help with organisation issues etc). when that gets sorted that may be useful. i am struggling to be organised atm, as much as i am tattempting to be organised with lists etc, really its still just vaguely-half-organised chaos.

so i am happy at the moment. things are falling into place it seems. i'm definitely getting more support than on my degree (when i got none), and i'm glad so far things are working out. the workloads only going to get bigger though, and a comment my tutor made the other day to my seminar group was this:

"this course, and your future teaching careers, are really just a massive test of your organisational skills, as much as your teaching skills".

one of the main reasons is the amount of paper we get given / taks/assignments to do / reading to do etc. anyway not sure why i wrote this long rambly post when all i wanted to say was that things are working out on the support front. but there you go. it turned into a very long rambly post indeed! :D Lucy
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:03 pm

It can cause complications when university staff start confusing dyspraxia with dyslexia, so it might be better to get them to correct your support plan before anybody else reads it.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby C » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:48 am

It could have just been a typo as dyslexia is more common and more well known. Still, Vicky is right, it may be confusing if dyspraxia is confused with dyslexia as they are different conditions, you should probably put it right.

The two seem to be confused a lot, or they do in my case, anyway (and I have absolutely no dyslexic tendencies whatsoever!) On more than one occasion I have received e-mails regarding 'my dyslexia'. Also, when I started Uni they screened me for dyslexia before assessing me despite my telling them that I was sure I was not dyslexic! In some cases, it's understandable. With the e-mails, sometimes they are autonomated and dyslexia is used simply because it is more common. With the screening, it appears to be standard procedure to do it before the assessment and, apparently, it can also pick up dyspraxic traits. Many people may be more familiar with dyslexia and confuse dyspraxia with it, but then it isn't that well known among the general population so that's hardly their fault.

On other occasions it can be very irritating especially when speaking with people who should know better. The disabled students co-ordinator my the psychology department at my Uni said to me one time 'do you think your dyslexia is getting in the way?' when I met with her. I corrected her but she did it again when I met with her a second time. The second time I was actually explaining to her about my new diagnosis of non verbal learning disorder. I brought some information about NVLD with me as well thinking maybe it would help. She just looked at it blankly, looked mildly irritated and said 'well it's only my job to update your study needs agreement, really. I'll leave the diagnosing to the experts, I don't really need this.'
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Lucy_Rush » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:01 pm

the two do get confused quite a bit no idea why but like for example, even my dsa needs assessment report at one point switches to "lucys dyslexia" (all the rest of the way through though its dyspraxia).

its probably just a typo because the appointment i had with him (when he wrote this learning support plan) he was also talking with me about visual dyslexia. i will give him a ring and let him know about the mistake. its probably best i do that!
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Return to Study Support