Cookery Tips and Recipes

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby ace puddy » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:31 pm

"warning, Knives are sharp! I know"

well i definetly know how dangerous knifes are, when i was little i was cleaning a butchers knife and it was facing the wrong way, and cut right across my hand... thank goodness it wasnt too serious :D :lol:
XxX Judy XxX - never give up on a miracle, because when you give up, you give up on a corner of a miracle. :D
ace puddy
Super Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:34 pm

Lifting things out the oven can be very difficult.Make sure you have oven gloves or use a dishtowel or cloth when taking your food out.Also use a chopping board so that you don't scratch or score the surface.Whatever you are cutting,put one hand to hold the piece of food and one to cut it.
If you are scared that you may cut yourself,put on some protective gloves that will protect your hands.

Use a small vegetable knife when cutting things like - bread,soft foods,vegetables of course.Use a slightly bigger knife,for cutting meats and hard foods that are difficult to cut.

To avoid mess wear an apron,and get help to cut foods that may cause mess.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Page » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:12 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:warning, Knives are sharp! I know from first hand experiance (the cut on my finger made it harder to cook and even harder to wash up. & I can't use it to type. could have been worse though.)

I actually prefer sharp knives because it takes less effort to cut things.

(I've gotten hurt so many times by using dull knives that required me to use a lot of force, only to have it slip and cut me). now, i make sure that all of my tools are extremely sharp.

If you do get cut, it's better to get it from a sharp knife because the wound is smaller (meaning it will heal faster) and it won't rip your skin the way a dull knife would.

It's also important for a knife to have an ergonomic grip. (those cheap plastic knives are slippery when wet and I don't like using them.) Wooden handle knives are just disgusting because the wood absorbs grease and fat, thereby allowing bacteria to thrive.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Dork_Lord » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:12 pm

The problem with sharp knives if youre clumsy is that if you do cut yourself you might give yourself a deep cut. I've been lucky in this regard mostly because my parents wont let me use the sharp knives
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Page » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:18 am

It helps to use a good cutting board.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:35 am

I'm concerned about the pepole saying they prefer blunt knives. I've gone on a number of cookery courses, taken food tech, cooked and found out for myself, and all of these sources aggree blunt knives are dangerous! they are more likley to slip and cut you, if you don't sharpen knives now and then rust gets on them and therefore the food, and (this is probably just me but I'll say it anyway) it makes it harder to tell which side cuts and which side you put your finger on to guide them.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby The Shadowscythe » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Rice and pasta are the dyspraxic's best friend in the kitchen, large amounts can be cooked easily, and then stored easily too (refrigerated) and almost any sort of ingredient or sauce can be added to them.

I personally love pasta with stir-fried chicken (also, really easy) and new potatoes in tomato and garlic sauce, mmmmm - yummeh! 8)
The Shadowscythe
Super Poster

Postby Creative » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Hve now rediscovered our cooking thread! My problem is I have gpt out of the habit of helpling my mother with the cooking because I have had an ongoing virus and need to get back into it.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Remember, the following items want to kill you:
The zester
The peeler
The grater
The oven
Hot trays
Your Mum/Dad when they see the mess you made

However, many of these items are small, and the vast majotity are incapable of moving on there own. Try to handle them all as carfuly as you would a rattle snake if you had to hold it.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cartouche » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:43 pm

My favourite incident was when I went to check on my lentils, only to find a bunch of grapes merrily burning away. They'd fallen onto the hob whilst I was out of the kitchen. That was more due to my mum's inability to have a kitchen resembling any kind of order to my own clumsiness, however.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Carrots

1.) Cut up your carrots into equally sized pieces. (As Esther has already said, if you buy organic carrots you do not have to fuss about peeling them.)

2.) Put them in a saucepan and cover them with cold water.

3.) Put the pan on the stove to boil. Different cookers have different heat settings. The one I use for carrots on our cooker is marked 5. Once you see the water bubbling very gently (known in cookery books as simmering) turn the heat down a notch and leave for seven minutes.

4.) Pour away the water. Put a little butter on the carrots (a very little - just enough for the carrots to absorb it) and sprinkle some coriander leaf over the top.

This recipe leads to firm carrots, as I hate wishy-washy vegetables. If you like yours all horrible and soggy, just leave the pan on the stove for longer.

Garlic Potatoes

1.) Put some butter on a paper napkin and smear it all round a baking tray.

2.) Take some medium-sized potatoes and cut them into thin oval slices.

3.) Put the sliced potatoes in the tray, arranging them in layers. In between each layer, sprinkle some vegetable stock (I crumbled an Oxo cube for this), some crushed garlic, and some mixed herbs. You can buy these seasonings in neat little jars from the supermarket.

4.) Put a few good dollops of butter on the top layer of potatoes.

5.) Put the tray in the oven at approximately 180 degrees Celsius. Your garlic potatoes will be ready in just over an hour.

Chicken Breasts

1.) Pour a little bit of olive oil into a wok or a frying pan. A very little bit - just one dollop in the centre of the pan. Tilt the pan a little to let the oil run across its surface.

2.) Put your chicken breasts into the pan and turn on the cooker. Again, everybody will have different heat settings. I use 4 on our cooker, having had a bad experience with 5.

3.) Get some crushed ginger and spread it on the top of the chicken breasts. Do not do any stirring until you can hear a sizzling sound, and the sizzling has been going on long enough to make some of the ginger melt into the chicken. Then turn the chicken breasts over and do the same thing with the other side. (Instead of ginger, you could add garlic or mixed herbs or any kind of seasoning.) Then keep flipping the chicken over at regular intervals. Do not let the chicken stick to the pan. Keep pushing it around with a wooden spoon.

4.) After about twenty to twenty-five minutes of this, get some suitable sauce (last night I used barbecue sauce) and pour it all over the chicken. Do NOT make my mistake and accidentally fry the sauce, causing you house to fill with smoke. The chicken should be taken off the stove a minute or two after you add the sauce. Not left to burn for the next quarter of an hour, a la Vicky.

5.) Serve to a willing victim (or force-feed to an unwilling one).
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

hehe

Postby k9ruby » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Remember, the following items want to kill you:
The zester
The peeler
The grater
The oven
Hot trays
Your Mum/Dad when they see the mess you made

However, many of these items are small, and the vast majotity are incapable of moving on there own. Try to handle them all as carfuly as you would a rattle snake if you had to hold it.

So true.

Best advice I have heard all year lol! :lol: :lol: :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips