Daydreaming

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Do you daydream a lot?

Yes
99%
No
1%

Total votes : 69

Postby Alice » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:42 pm

I spend most of my time daydreaming. Infact I can hardly even finish two sente...

...sorry did I drift off there.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:29 pm

I daydream a lot, and this has often been remarked upon in school and places.

I don't like daydreaming too much, as occasionally my trains of thought can make me end up quite anxious
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby littlemadangel » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:27 pm

I daydream all the time. I have a very short attention span and nothing holds my interest for that long.

Everyone else could be sitting watching the TV, and I'll be away with the fairies staring into space, thinking about something else entirely.

I remember once in school, in an IT theory lesson, my teacher was reading from the textbook we were using. I was listening but I just wasnt looking at the book, displays of work and words had caught my attention on the walls and I was sitting looking at them instead. I nearly got thrown out of the class for that cos I argued back with her, when she told me off for not listening!

Also, in my new job, my line manager announced on Friday that cos our training is finishing he has to make a seating plan for where we are gonna sit for doing work. I specifically told him not to put me beside a window, cos then I would look out it and daydream all day!
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Postby Syrons » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:41 pm

I daydream and think all the time, the annoying thing is when i daydream i open my mouth and that causes a lot of abuse! not really no more but when i am on the bus, then i will get it but when i was at school it was "ian are you catching flys again you mug" or i remember my whole maths class would do the same thing as me with my mouth open but make noises like a brain damage person.

I daydream a lot without really knowing and always have done that's why i am always so unconcentrated and need somebody there to keep me concentrated and focus otherwise i stare at the most exciting things walls, window reflections, carpet, doors and writting but not reading it but just starring at it.
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:29 pm

Syrons wrote:I daydream a lot without really knowing

Yeah, I'm like that. It's like is an automatic drive. I found when I used to be bullied it used to be a great escape to be able to just drift and ignore the hurtful comments.

I also have an alter ego, one side is the side I show everyone and then there is the daydream me. I like to call him Rhyde! :evil: [/quote]
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:55 am

I mostly daydream at home or in my dorm room at school. I used to think it was a bad thing, but now I just think it's a way for me to think up good ideas for my fiction stories or work out problems I'm having. They say dreams are good for working out problems and I think they're probably a good thing to write a book about if you have the right characters, plot, etc. A lot of my characters I write about have come to me in my daydreams. I heard Harry Potter and Hagrid came to J.K. Rowling when she was on the train and she was just kind of spacing out.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 pm

I don't understand people who don't daydreaming. I asked my mom if she ever daydreamed and she said no! How the hell do you get by not daydreaming? For me, I could not live without daydreaming! Favourite part of my day! :D
Remus
Site Admin

Postby littlemadangel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:41 pm

daydreaming is great
it gets me through the day
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Postby Loony_Lovegood » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Yeah, I daydream all the time! Often it can be distracting, but apart from that, it can be great- I can never be bored!
Loony_Lovegood

Postby HairyLemon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:47 pm

I'm always in my own little world. I used to try my best to stay concentrated in lessons because the teacher would ask me somthing but i'd only stop day dreaming after they had asked me, so i normally end up with the whole class quiet waiting for me to answer and i'd have no idea what to say.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby C » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:10 pm

I love daydreaming! Always have, as a little girl all my school reports would say that I daydreamed too much!
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:10 pm

Its not my fault that MY world is far by superior to the real world :evil:

lol.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Brian » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:19 pm

All the time particulary in a boring school class
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Fortnox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:14 am

Alice wrote:I spend most of my time daydreaming. Infact I can hardly even finish two sente...

...sorry did I drift off there.

Combined with your avatar, that was hilarious.

Day dreaming is great and this thread does seem to prove it's a Dyspraxic symptom however.. It can be a really bad thing. Your imagination can only possibly prove to distract you from the real world. It can never change the situation you are truly in, it cannot fix relationships or do your Maths work.
You have to remember that your imagination is an enemy, because it can only distract you from the real world.
If you want to get anywhere in life you have to learn to ignore it and focus on the real world, it's just another thing you have to get past, like writing or riding a bike. The best way I find to do this is to day dream in your free time when you're by yourself, but when you're with anyone else make sure you focus on them, and if you begin to drift off don't let your imagination take control of the situation.
If you end up too much of a day dreamer you'll spend all day missing out things that people have said and pretending you heard them or making people repeat themselves constantly, or you'll ignore people talking to you without noticing and they'll be offended.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Re: Daydreaming

Postby OneWingedAngel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:57 pm

I constantly daydream. I spend more time in my imaginary world than in the real world. Only issue is I drift off during lessons and when I'm talking to my friends!

But daydreaming is just so much fun. Way more interesting than the real world!
AND ALL FOR THE SNOWGLOBE! ITS MINE!!
We're going to get some shoes for the Queen, spoilt little....
If everyone was the same, the world would be REALLY boring....
OneWingedAngel

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips