Short-term memory loss

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Short-term memory loss

Postby Remus » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:04 pm

Is having short-term memory loss an dyspraxic trait? I am really suffering in exams at the moment. I can do the things in class but when I get into exams, my mind just goes blank. I have a media studies exam tomorrow and I'm really good at media but my memory just going to fail me again like all the other times.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Short-term memory loss is a dyspraxic symptom, athoufh it sounds like yours is made worse by anxiety.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Spoon girl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:54 am

Things like this always get a million times worse when you assume it's going to happen. Have you noticed you bump in to things/spill things more when you are thinking about being clumsy and/or dyspraxic? This is the same, if you go in to the exam thinking your memory is going to fail you then it's more likely to happen. Go in there relaxed and confident because it's less likely to happen if you're not so stressed. If you do forget things, in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world, and you can sort that later on.
The capacity of the body is limited
Yours, mine, everybody's
But the capacity of the soul is unlimited
Your's, mine, everybody's
Spoon girl
Mega Poster

Postby kerrianne92 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Having a bad memory is a part of dyspraxia it can be sooooooo annoying at times especially when you know your ability to remember something will have an effect on the outcome of something (exams for an example)
but also in day to day life, I can be told something at the top of the stairs and within the few seconds it takes to get down the stairs i can have forgotten it because something else has caught my attention.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby HairyLemon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:56 pm

I have a terrible short term memory. somtimes things just disappear right in front of me. I was constantly losing stationry at school or someone would borrow them and not give them back. i always lost money aswell and would have to call for a lift back when i could not catch the bus. It gets in the way at home aswell i can never be trusted to pass on messages. Teachers would often get frustrated with me when i forget instructions they then would think i wasn't listening.

Does anyone else forget one instruction when they're told the next one because i do that all the time?
Last edited by HairyLemon on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Creative » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:08 pm

My sort term memory is quite good except when it comes to instructions. I often remember them in the wrong order or miss out a stage.

I sometimes loose things and I find it hard to think of the logical place to look for them. Another thing I am bad at is remembering the appearence of clothing and other objects. Also on TV Drama I find it hard to remember the faces of all the new characters.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 pm

Short-term memory deficits are amongst my most severe dyspraxic symptoms. However, I don't struggle in the way that you describe, Remus. It might be anxiety that is causing you to go blank in exams, as retaining information that you have studied over a period of time in class is connected more to long-term memory.

I lose things frequently and muddle up instructions, like Creative. This evening I went off for a swim without packing my swimming costume, even though I had gone upstairs specifically to get it. (I picked up a pencil instead.) In the past I have taken a shower, got half-dressed, got distracted by a book, forgotten all about the shower, and climbed back under the water again with my clothes on. When I'm tired and trying to talk to someone on the phone, I will forget what they have said within seconds of them saying it. Sometimes I will find myself in the middle of a sentence and not know what comes next. I'm a bit like Dory from Finding Nemo when that happens. That only happens when I'm very tired, though.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fraser » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:16 pm

I'm especially bad with remembering instructions, like Creative said. If my mum asks me to put the kettle on, I go to the kitchen and then can't remember why I'm there! It's really bad when there's a sequence of instructions, especially if they involve numbers.
fraser
Forum Master

:)

Postby k9ruby » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:27 pm

When I'm tired and trying to talk to someone on the phone, I will forget what they have said within seconds of them saying it. Sometimes I will find myself in the middle of a sentence and not know what comes next. I'm a bit like Dory from Finding Nemo when that happens. That only happens when I'm very tired, though.

I do that too!!!

One of my best friends rang me the other day and said (I had asked them how they were) Their reply? "Fine, thanks. Just the same as 5 seconds ago".

Ooops. :oops: :oops:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: :)

Postby parnassus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:09 pm

k9ruby wrote:One of my best friends rang me the other day and said (I had asked them how they were) Their reply? "Fine, thanks. Just the same as 5 seconds ago".

Ooops. :oops: :oops:

A lot of people do that, especially if they can't think of much to say on the phone. I think it's because filling in silences with a pleasantry is a near-automatic action. I notice myself doing this too, but in me it's not the same as a memory lapse. Here is an example of what I meant:

Friend: What time will you be arriving tomorrow?

Me: Let me look - . [Slurring 'look' due to tiredness, forgetting the rest of the sentence, forgetting the question I was answering.] Sorry, what were you saying?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

:)

Postby k9ruby » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks Vicky. I realise that may not of been the best example to of given- but I do this on a daily basis- I ask questions and completely forget if anyone has answered it. Other times I end up doing things 2/3/4 times because I have forgotten whether I did it in the first place - it drives people around me insane :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

I'm really bad at remembering instructions as well. I'm also bad at remembering the sequence involved in any particular action-this is why I make mistakes when dressing myself sometimes because each item of clothing requires a different sequence of actions and it's too hard for my brain to store.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Instructions and messages are definitely the worst things.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm not good with instructions, messages or numbers. The other day I was making my mom some hot milk and I went into the fridge to get the milk and I completely forgot what I went in there for.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:01 am

Messages are bad for me too-I tend to just leave the phone to go on to aswer machine when I'm the only one home as, in the past, messages never got passed on because, by the time I'd hung up the phone, picked up a pen and opened the notepad, my mind would be blank and I'd have completely forgotten who'd rung and what they wanted.
Steph
Forum God !

Next

Return to Study Support