Short-term memory loss

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Same here

Postby k9ruby » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:45 pm

Messages are bad for me too-I tend to just leave the phone to go on to aswer machine when I'm the only one home as, in the past, messages never got passed on because, by the time I'd hung up the phone, picked up a pen and opened the notepad, my mind would be blank and I'd have completely forgotten who'd rung and what they wanted.

Same here!!!

My mum once had to have her car serviced, and I kept getting phone calls to say it was ready. Because I forgot to say they had even rung, they enventually rang 2 weeks later asking why picked her car up :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby C » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:55 pm

It's funny, whenever my short term memory is tested (for example by the use of a digit span test, where a series of numbers are said to me and I have to repeat them back, more numbers are gradually added) I score within the high average / above average range. Certainly my long term memory is very good, with me remembering words from films/books/conversations word for word. I can remember dates well too, this always comes in useful when revising for exams!

But in day to day life my short term memory DOES let me down, I've been reading through this thread nodding, so much of what you sat sounds familar. My memory is especially bad when following instructions, I find it hard to remember more than about... um, one! Maybe it's more to do with bad concentration and attention skills than memory; when tested one-to-one in a nice quiet room I am able to remember well but when someone's talking to me with background noise, visual stimuli etc. I find it hard to keep track of what they are saying. If they are giving me instructions I forget them for this reason. So it could be that the material to remember is not retrieved not due to bad memory but due to poor attention; the material is never encoded in the first place and so cannot possibly be retrieved? ... Just a thought.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Study Support