Cooking

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Cooking

Postby Creative » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 pm

How often do other people on here cook? I don't cook often. If I have to make myself a hot meal I have pasta and cheese. I definatly couln't live on this!
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Danni » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:02 pm

When I had a cooker, about once a fortnight. Not so great for someone living alone.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Maybe you and Vicky can cook together. I think if I had a friend to encourage me it would make a huge difference.
Creative
Forum God !

Pasta

Postby k9ruby » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 pm

I can cook some very simple pasta dishes...

(AKA can open a tin of Domino (eventually...) and add some capers :P)

It is a good idea to have someone help you:

1) remind you to not leave the gas on :oops: :oops: :oops: (I have done this a couple of times)

2) Remind you to keep stirring/remember pasta

3) Remind you to retrieve sauce out microwave

4) Just in case you drop the boiling sauce :oops: :oops:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:09 pm

I am obsessed with cooking, especially baking, but I the other kinds of cooking too. My parents don't let me do it every day (or even once a week :cry: ), but I do it whenever possible.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Alice wrote:I am obsessed with cooking, especially baking, but I the other kinds of cooking too. My parents don't let me do it every day (or even once a week :cry: ), but I do it whenever possible.

really? i think my parents would be glad if i did.

some easy things to cook:
- pasta salad
- spag. bol. (this can be messy though)
- macaroni cheese

if spagehitti is too messy for you too eat, you can use pasta instead.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:31 pm

Creative wrote:Maybe you and Vicky can cook together. I think if I had a friend to encourage me it would make a huge difference.

Danni can cook reasonably well, but her mental health problems mean that she can only go out to buy ingredients late at night, when the supermarket is close to empty. On some days she feels too low and weak to cook even if the cupboards are full. You are right about it being much easier to get things done if you have a friend around, so the idea is for me to motivate Danni and for her to give me cooking lessons. :P

At the moment I can't make anything hot. At home I could not switch the cooker on or operate the oven. Danni and I are having a cooker fitted in the coming week, so perhaps this one will be easier to manage.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

:)

Postby k9ruby » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:35 pm

You are right about it being much easier to get things done if you have a friend around, so the idea is for me to motivate Danni and for her to give me cooking lessons. Razz

That could be interesting :P
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:31 pm

I can cook scrambled eggs on toast, beans on toast, spaghetti bolognaise and tomato soup although, last time I did the latter, I got uncooked tomato soup all over the walls and floor (I have extreme difficulty with opening tins even with tin openers) :P I am trying to extend my list of dishes I can cook. I would like to fry food too but the spittin of the oil scares me. I would also like to cook meat but I can never tell when food is cooked and I do not want to end up with food poisoning especially as I am emetophobic (terrified of vomiting).
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Cartouche » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 pm

I simply had to cook for myself whilst I was in Germany, but I'd already got to grips with a lot beforehand, notleast from my Food Tech GCSE. Of course, I could still go out to the Doener shop (think kebabs but actually tasty, with salad, and not full of fat), but I only did that about once a week. I had to get used to frying too, since I was never confident enough to do that beforehand, but it's more common in Germany than here, so I quickly got used to making fried potatoes. The worst thing was that there was no microwave, so I cooked ready meals (once again, don't think in terms of English ready meals) in a large saucepan with water in. That led to a few close calls in serious scalding.

It's something that I've developed over time. I really enjoy it, actually, and I find great pleasure in blending tastes to create a meal, be it through combinations of food, or through flavouring. I have my own pasta sauce which I make with cumin, chilli powder, soy sauce, turmeric, and lemon juice.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby kerrianne92 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:14 pm

I like cooking but somebody always has to be somewhere near in case something goes wrong...I dropped a open bottle of oil all over the kitchen floor last week while trying to grease some foil and then couldnt think of what I should do, I managed to orget about my scrambled eggs yesterday and they got slightly burnt...it had to go in the bin :(
I am getting better at getting things in and out of the oven without burning myself tho :)
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Creative » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:35 am

I haven't done any more cooking. I know I really must do some soon as I would like to live independantly one day and not have to rely on my parents to cook for me.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:09 pm

I suggest getting multiple alars to make sure you don't forget to turn things off.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:35 pm

Yes multiple alarms may work but I could see myself forgetting which one was for which thing!

Quite often by 5 o'clock I feel too tired to give a hand with the cooking. Especially if I'm out most of the day.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:50 pm

My friend gave me a Jamie Oliver cookbook for Christmas and my Mum helped me to prepare 3 meals.

We did meatballs, chilli and cauliflower cheese.
Creative
Forum God !

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips