Sports!

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Sports!

Postby Barbarian » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi,

This may seem like sheer insanity to some of you, but for me it was sport that helped me overcome some of the more physical aspects of dyspraxia. I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. I've been doing sports (baseball and football/soccer) since I was 3, along with Martial Arts since 13 (19 at the moment). I was told this helped me no end. It just took a whole lot of willpower and detrmination to better myself.
Barbarian

Postby parnassus » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:46 pm

Certain kinds of sports can help a lot with dyspraxia (horse riding was hugely beneficial to me) but it does depend on how supportive your sports teacher is and how severe your dyspraxia. I can't talk and climb stairs at the same time, not because of any lack of physical fitness but because I can't co-ordinate my limbs and produce speech simultaneously. I took karate for nearly two years, but never got higher than a yellow belt (the lowest belt, as I'm sure you already know). I failed the grading the first time round, after eleven months of weekly classes. It wasn't lack of determination that made me so slow, but severe motor co-ordination problems. I needed occupational therapy and advice from a neurologist in order to make any significant improvements, although sport (particularly swimming) formed part of my OT programme.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Rosie-posie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:17 am

Im the same as you vicky horseriding and swimming all the way :D
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Re: Sports!

Postby Remus » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Barbarian wrote: sheer insanity

It's definitely insane for me, :D I try to stay away from all sports. Dyspraxia effects my physical skills at lot more than my mental skills. Instead I play video games because I know they can help co-ordination and it's fun at the same time!
Remus
Site Admin

riding for the disabled.

Postby k9ruby » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Vicky- horseriding was great for me too, we are lucky to have one run by the RDA quite close to us- and it was great for physio aswell...until I became allergic to the horses :cry: :cry: :cry:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Re: riding for the disabled.

Postby Alice » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:53 pm

k9ruby wrote:Vicky- horseriding was great for me too, we are lucky to have one run by the RDA quite close to us- and it was great for physio aswell...until I became allergic to the horses :cry: :cry: :cry:

You could try antihystamines, ask your doctor.

Fencing has helped me hugely, both in terms of coordination and confidence. So much so that I may take up another sport when I have time (which may never happen). However, team sports will never be for me, they will allways bring back bad memories. Memories I'm sure most of you have simillar versions of stored in your own heads.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Barbarian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 pm

I know what you mean as far as grading goes parnassus, I never got above the yellow myself, could never get Kata right at all, sequencing and I are not the best of freinds. My dyspraxia can seem a bit weird, I'm very borderline dyslexic, VERY borderline. I have a lot of traits, but not quite as many as dyspraxic ones. I like baseball, which is odd considering I suck at rounders (pah, girls sprot anyway :D ). Never tried horseriding though....
Barbarian

:)

Postby k9ruby » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:53 pm

You could try antihystamines, ask your doctor.

Did do, but too bad :(
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Material Arts are great and Sailing is quite good but golf isn't that good
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby fraser » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:30 am

When I got my report from the psychologist, it said, "Fraser is not competent at most sports", which I find quite funny. I want to know exactly what one I am competent at! I'm pretty sure I didn't tell him any.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby Page » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:56 am

Sports does help with some of the symptoms.

About a year ago, I started to lift weights. The first few times were rather humiliating, but I eventually got to the point where I could perform nearly as well as everyone else. ( Bench press, squats, and arm curls are the most important things to focus on from my experience) I no longer have problems with fatigue and my endurance is as high as it has ever been. Unfortunately, it does not fix coordination issues, but I can live with that. getting access to a weight room costs money each month, but it's worth it to me. I also balance the weights with some cardio. (swimming is good)

I've also taken up gardening. Digging in the thick clay soil of Alabama with a shovel is also good exercise, and clearing a patch of ground the size of the average table top is enough to tire anyone out!
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Hazza » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 pm

I dont like doing PE at school

I do like going swimming tho

i used to go horseriding with the RDA and i was a blackbelt in Karate!
Hazza
Advanced Member

Postby Lucy_Rush » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 am

i used to do karate too. i used to do the kind with katas, my progress was slow because i found remembering them hard. but my class changed to doing a different sort of karate - which was more of a cross between different stylesit involved no katas (yay!!) and instead more focus on sparring etc.

The sequence of belts at my karate was:
white
yellow
orange
green
blue
purple
brown 1 tab
brown 2 tabs
brown 3 tabs
black
then more blacks.

it took me many years, (till i was about 13/14 i guess - i started young at about 5/6) but i got to 1st kyu, which is the third brown belt. so i was training to take my black belt. i also got my senior level breakfall certificate. but i quit. this is like such a huge regret of mine!!!

the reason i quit was i was practising back-to-back with my older cousin (he was about 15/16 then, and a black belt). its where you start sitting back to back, we did it in the garden, and you kind of wrestle each other to the ground, from being on your knees. you have to get them in some sort of lock/hold. if you do you win. anyway i somehow hit my face on a garden sprinkler we didnt know was there, and chipped my two front teeth rather a lot. it absolutely killed. i skipped karate for a couple of weeks and went to band practice instead... and just never went back to band.

it was good for my co-ordination though. things like if anyone has ever done an arm warmup where you swing one arm forwards and the other backwards at the same time - that took me forever to get. but i did get it eventually. and lots of other examples.

however apart from kayaking during the summers, i dont real;ly do much sport now. if i had time i would join karate again as a white belt and work up. but maybe in a few years. :D
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby kerrianne92 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:04 pm

I do karate XD im a green bely (it goes white, yellow, orange, green, blue, red, brown, black with various tags and steipes when you get to brown and black) but my intructor is really patient, he won't let me use my dyspraxia as an excuse for not being able to do things as quick and in a way i think this has helped me, as it gives me more determination to be as good as everyone else even if it does take me longer, especially learning the katas ive learnt all of sifa but it has started to make me forget my 1st and 2nd katas so i have to keep practising them all.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Brian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:12 pm

Kata's are painful , I did TKD as a sort of a second martial art and they were annoying but I'm glad in the Martial Arts I'm doing there are none of them
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips