Supermarkets

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Supermarkets

Postby Creative » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:12 pm

How do you find them? I find the lighting very bright and disorientating.

The more familiar I am with the supermarket then the easier it is. I am a lot better at managing the trolley than I used to be.

The checkout and packing the bags is rather challenging.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby kerrianne92 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Supermarkets ahhh where do I start!

Okay the lights are bright

Theres usally too many people

I can never seem to control the trolley

I drop everything when I try to look at it

I always get lost and can never find what im looking for

Theyre really noisy

people stare at you when you trip or drop things....

as you can guess I don't really like supermarkets very much at all
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Spoon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:26 pm

I used to work in somerfield.......I'd come home with a nasty headache every day from the lighting.

I can't stand supermarkets. Too loud, too bright, too crowded and too disorganised!

My local sainsburys is also really badly laid out. The shop curves around and the lighting is awful. I got very confused and left without half the shopping I needed. I went in with my music on to drown out the noise but got so confused that I had to turn it off to concentrate but there was a woman screaming! I may try ear plugs next time. Thankfully there is a morrissons nearby that is laid out much better so hopefully I won't need to go in there.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:39 pm

I hate the lighting too! I hate it when I have to pack the bags because I'm really slow at doing it and the queue behind tend to get annoyed with me! I like it when they offer to pack for you as I am usually too nervous to ask them to do it (I've had some bad experiences in the past where I have asked and they've been really nasty about it).
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Lucy_Rush » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:12 pm

i hate supermarkets too. its too bright. i get a basket cos i bump the trolley into people. then the basket gets really heavy. then at the checkout they always go too quickly and i cant keep up with the packing. i always shop alone now too. last year i would go with my friend and we would help each other pack.

and so now i am always too slow packing alone. but when they offer to help i always say no, cos they dont pack it right. they always put everything in wrong and stuff. (i'm picky at times about how i like stuff to be exact. funny really cos i am the messiest person on the planet but some things have to be just so that they are just right. else it reeeeeally bugs me. and i have to unpack the shopiing the person packed and repack it myself. which looks weird)
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

urrgh!

Postby k9ruby » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Urrgh! I know...have you noticed the freezers make annoying noises too!

Yeah, I'm useless with trollies :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:33 am

I'm better with trollies than baskets as I can't carry much and I keep banging the basket into people. Yesterday in the supermarket I nearly got hit by a whole pile of baskets that nearly fell down on top of me! Luckily this women noticed what was happening and came to help me.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:55 pm

I have always liked going to the grocery store. I am impressed by all the food there is and all the different choices you can make. I guess it's all kind of a happy place for me. I just went with my dad the other day.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hazza » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:11 pm

My parents always make me go and go get some stuff from the supermarket!

i dont really find anything wrong.. the only thing is, if im with one of my parents, i ALWAYS lose them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it takes me ages to find them!
David Tennants leaving in 2010! :o:o
Hazza
Advanced Member

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:48 pm

I don't really mind them. It's just the walk home, up the hill :(
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Philip » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 pm

I am okay with supermarkets.

My parents asked me to go shopping sometimes, if we need a few items before the main shop each week.

I always get a basket when shopping alone.

Sometimes instead of going to a main shopping market, I would shop at our local one if I am not at college and we only needed bread, milk and something for a sandwich.
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips