Personal statment

Stuck with your schoolwork? Post any questions or queries here and we'll all try to help.

Personal statment

Postby Alice » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:26 am

My parents want me to put that I have dyspraxia on my pesonal statment, but I'm not sure. I think it'll look whiney, but I'm now worried they're right. Did anyone put dyspraxia on their personal statment? And what would you do in my position.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 pm

You should declare it in the disability section of the UCAS form. Either tick the "I have a specific learning difficulty" box, or if you have other disabilities/health problems (e.g. ASD, diabetes, epilepsy, anaphylaxis, mental illness) tick the multiple disabilities box. Then explain briefly that you have dyspraxia and what help you need in the box below.
Mention it in your personal statement if:
1. You are doing a course where your personal experience of dyspraxia will give you special insight( For example, if you are applying for a teaching course, you could mention how being dyspraxic will help you to understand the needs of pupils with specific learning difficulties.)
2. You have done some kind of voluntary work with a dyspraxia related charity, or written articles/given presntations on dyspraxia and you want to mention it as part of your personal statement.
3. In the past you have dropped out of or failed a course, and the reason for this was that your dyspraxia wasn't diagnosed, or was diiagnosed but you didn't get enough help (this will not sound whiny - it will just make the Universities you apply to see you are not lazy or stupid.)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby intowiz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:26 pm

Funnily enough im doing the personnel statement right now. Are you finding it a struggle aswell or has it been easyish for you? I dont think there supposed to contain that info but you might aswell go ask someone who might know.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

:P

Postby k9ruby » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Your personal statement is your personal statement. It should be about you, and how much you love your subject.

There is space for declaring dyspraxia later on in the form, and it is likely your teachers may declare it as part of your reference.

Hope this helps.

I personally did not mention it in my PS, but mentioned it later and clicked the "2 or more" option on the ucas form. :wink:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Return to Study Support