Chronic worsening of symptoms

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Chronic worsening of symptoms

Postby Page » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:33 am

I know that lots of us have days where our symptoms seem worse than usual, but have any of you experienced this for an extended period of time? I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and it's been driving me crazy.

Let me explain.

About 2.5 years ago, there was a blood drive at my university back in California. I had many of the typical Dyspraxic symptoms (clumsiness, low tone, less-than-average endurance and balance, etc.) at this time, and they way I feel now is comparable to how I felt then. I had never given blood before, but I wanted to help, so I went in and I endured a huge needle while they took a big bag full. (It was at this time I found out that I am type O positive) I still have a scar from that needle today. In hindsight, I should have gotten medical clearance for that, but at the time, I thought I could handle it, since I'm a fairly big guy and no one ever told me that I couldn't give blood.

Anyway, they told me that some weakness and fatigue was normal for a few days following the procedure, so I thought nothing of it at first. However, over the course of the next week or so, I noticed that it never got any better. For a month after that, I felt absolutely terrible... my strength and endurance was reduced to nearly half of what they were before and it stayed that way for over a year. Walking long distances quickly led to pain and exhaustion.

I felt a little better after the first month, but not much. I knew something was very wrong with me, but I had no idea what. I had a medical checkup with full blood work, but they couldn't find anything unusual. (I swear losing more blood during the test made what I was experiencing slightly worse) I still had my other symptoms; I was as clumsy as ever and my balance got worse due to the problems I was experiencing. I went to see a neurologist, and she tested me for all kinds of things. (that's when I got my official dyspraxia diagnosis) Around this time, I took advantage of all the university accommodations I could get.

This condition gradually resolved itself when I started a rigorous exercise regimen, (I only felt normal again early this year) which I still do a few times a week. Once, I started procrastinating on my exercise, and it wasn't long before I started feeling worse again, but by getting back on program I was able to stop it. For some reason, staying in the best possible shape I can seems to be the only thing holding it back. I still find myself discreetly leaning on things for support more than I used to before all this happened, though. I'm still worried that it will happen again.

Has this (or something similar) happened to anyone else?

Edit: my symptoms also temporarily worsen when I'm tired or stressed, but nothing like what I just described.
Page
Mega Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat