Maths!? oh no

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Maths?

NO!
4%
I love maths
22%
it's not that bad.
25%
KILL IT, kill it, kill it, kill it, KILL IT!!!!!!!!
49%

Total votes : 79

Postby Danni » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:03 am

Maths comes second only to IT in my list of favourite subjects. It's the A Level I've decided to do next year.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby druchi » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:05 pm

one word: confused

i would rather stick my genitals in fish food and dangle them over a fish tank filled with Piranhas

i cant wait to never use it again
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:46 pm

I thought I was quite good at maths until I got this really crappy teacher last year for my higher and I failed my end of unit test which meant that I wasnt allowed to sit my Higher despite passing all the NABS I am really pissed off about that cos I seen the papers and I am sure I could have passed that Higher Glad I have left that school.
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby kerrianne92 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Maths ahhhhh

its all not too bad until you get to the Gcse stuff all the quadratic equations and pi :?

after we started doing Gcse work after our sats nothing seemed to make much sense...now it looks more random as if someone was bored of numbers and decided to add letters to make it more interesting but it just confuses me sooooo much!
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby HairyLemon » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:48 pm

I;'ve always found maths quite easy not sure why , numbers just make sense to me. i think this may be because my dad is very good with maths but i'm not sure. i can do maths in my head very quickly and more recently i've become quite good with algebra. Next year i'm taking maths and further maths , my sister says its reallly hard and i'm crazy. but maths is one of the only things i'm good at.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Sarah L » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm

I find x and + and dividing(sort of alright.
The last mock I did I got a D.

At the moment in maths we doing angles, measuring using a protractor to get a triangle and using a protracter to find the angle of the place.
I find this part of maths especially difficult with the protractor the teacher explains it to me several times and I still don't get how to use it.

The main problem is the positioning. Today someone sitting next to me gave me a a roundwheel protractor with a arrow thing on it. Seeing as when I was using the normal protractor , I was struggling.
I found this slightly more easy but when I used it I kept losing the positioning it wobbled.

Next I Predict I'll be using compasses soon as it is on the next few pages in our textbooks and that we haven't done that yet. I find the compass hard to use as well, putting the pencil in, positioning it and then trying to use it.Then a few moments later the pencil falls out and I repeat said process.

I SAY MATH KILL KILL IT!
Sarah L

Postby Bladen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:45 am

Key Skills means I'm back at it. I don't agree at all with the way its taught academically you get brownie points for doodling yet sod all for answering a question.
Still, I've found no use at all for it, anything to with angles and alegbra is useless to me, I can never remember it or find a place to use it.
Friend of mine put in an hilarious note to the examiner in his paper at the end saying "Is this entire course some kind of sick joke" he replied with "Of course but I get paid to be a wanker or a saint by following a silly mark's scheme."
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Maths!? oh no

Postby mysticalwater » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:40 pm

Im in the top set for maths but Im WAY behind everyone else. It can be really embaressing when the teacher asks me a question and I have no idea what hes taking about because everyone else in the room does.
mysticalwater
Super Poster

Postby Bliss-Helena » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 pm

I think I hate times table the most which sounds weird I know. I just can't learn them! I'm in the set from the bottom but sometimes I just get made to feel like such an idiot.
Bliss-Helena

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 pm

I am very bad at maths and I now have to sit the Foundation Maths paper which is the lower level of Maths you can do in Ireland for your State Exams.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Cynamon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 pm

I've never been any good at maths.

I can add up, a bit in my head but not very much, subtraction confuses me, I can't multiply and if you put money in my hands, what little maths skills I have just go out the window.
Cynamon

Postby darkrose287 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 am

I can do complex maths, but adding up simple numbers? no chance.
darkrose287

Re:

Postby Alice » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Bladen wrote:Pi = 3.14 recurring though

I just spotted that statment. Take it back. Take it back NOW.

Seriously though, who told you that? Pi has an infinite number of decimal places, but it does not repeate itself.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Miwa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:39 pm

I didn't do maths for a year and I had to study maths again in my studies.... I was bad and now I forgot everything I learnt, I'm worse. -_-
Miwa
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:32 pm

*hugs* have you asked your teacher for extra help?

What part of Maths do you find hardest?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips