Tips for bad days (or everyday too)

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Tips for bad days (or everyday too)

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 pm

I think that especially on those bad days it's important for you to keep busy doing something, whether it's going on a walk or talking to a friend or reading...whatever. Active things work better for me, but if you can't do that music also is a great help in keeping positive.

Don't watch the news if it makes you too sad. Get your news from the internet where you can search for specific articles instead of watching all the garbage at the beginning of the newscasts. Take a break from shows or music or whatever that makes you feel sad or upset in any way. These shows/music might not normally make you feel bad, but maybe you are just more sensitive that day and so you need to take a break from them or quit them all together. That is what I am trying to decide if I should do with "Heroes." Sylar really disturbs me, but I like the other characters so I watch for them. I have to decide whether it is worth it to watch and if it affecting me or if it is just my lack of sleep.

Journal or write on a Post-it, back of a rip-off calendar page, etc. and put that paper or journal away. Try to forget about the problems. Run around even if you hate sports. Just get out there. Watch a funny show.

Get involved in the community or in some kind of club.

Drive around somewhere. It helps to get away from the mundanity sometimes.

All these things are good to do and will wear you out so you might feel a little better and forget about stuff that's gone wrong.

I do these on even some of my best days just to make sure I'm keeping busy. It's good to do that so you are tired a the end of the day and get a good sleep.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Play-Doh or Silly Putty, Gak, etc. can be excellent stress relievers for your hands.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Qasim » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks for this. Its true, exercise is proven to get your spirits up. Anything from walking/jogging/sit-ups. Reading up on news that interests you is a good one too. It can take your mind off the things on hand which you are stressing about.

I used to have a putty sort of stress-reliever, but I think I just loved the feel of it. I wasn't so stressed in those days, but I wish I hadn't lost it...

And of course any kind of creativity. It often makes you feel like you've achieved something good, or brings you onto other creative projects. I used to model 3d buildings out of paper, that was pretty fun.
Qasim
Mega Poster

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips