Ways To cope with stress or tips on how to get rid of stress

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Ways To cope with stress or tips on how to get rid of stress

Postby carebear15 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Take a nap.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Lawzy » Wed May 09, 2007 7:21 pm

that's a good idea :P

If I'm stressed about work i usually make lists or write a plan before I start so i know what I'm doing and whilst i'm working I make sure my space is tidy and I put on some music and that chills me out.
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah, lists are always good for me because you can break down what you have to do that day into manageable pieces. Also, reading, watching tv, writing, drawing, or listening to music is a de-stresser (sp?) for me.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Grab some Play-Doh, Silly Putty or just a stress ball and rub it in your hand for a while. Coloring or drawing also helps me with stress. I bought a new coloring book the other day so I could duke out my stress on it. :) It doesn't matter if you draw or scribble or color just get it all out of your head!
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Qasim » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Get a blank piece of paper and a pen and just play! You can just lose your mind in it.
Qasim
Mega Poster

Re: Ways To cope with stress or tips on how to get rid of stress

Postby justme6565 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:39 pm

For me the best way to relivie stress is to write: either journaling or more creative stuff. Problem is: When I'm stressed, it's the last thing I feel like doing, even though I know how tremendoisly it helps. Sometimes I'll take a walk. Sometimes I'll listen to relaxing, Classical/New Age music. Sometimes I'll punch my pillow. Sometimes I'll just cry for no particular reason. It actully helps.
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:24 pm

Moderate excercise (something fun, which isn't competitive or painful.)

Playing with something. I'm going to post another advert for tangles because they are great.

In the US:
http://www.tanglecreations.com/

In the UK (ships elsewhere in Europe):

http://www.thetangleshop.co.uk/index.htm

Music

If stress is really bad for a long period, seeing a counsellor can help.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:46 pm

When I'm stressed I get very agitated and unable to sit still, a period that is almost always followed by an exhausted daze where I can't do anything and start weeping at little or no provocation. The coping methods I use depend on how the stress is affecting me.

When feeling agitated/angry:

Go for a moderately long walk, preferably somewhere quiet and remote. I usually head for the river as I love watching the ripples. I try not to walk further than five miles out (a long walk to me is about fifteen to twenty miles) as I know that the horrible tiredness might come on, and I don't want to be so far away from home that I have to get a bus back. Buses are not good for your stress levels. They should be shot.

Go to the gym or for a swim. This might not work so well if you need one-to-one support in the gym or the pool, as I find having someone to coach you is anxiety-provoking in its own right. There are four machines in the gym that I can use without help from the staff, so I stick to those.

Do physically challenging housework.

When anxious or upset:

Snuggle up in bed under a heavy duvet (pressure can be comforting) and request not to be disturbed until you are ready to come out again.

Cuddle a cat. Fortunately I have a very placid elderly cat who is more than willing to be manhandled if I need him. He let me cry all over his fur this morning, and he purred throughout. Few cats would let you do that. We need to make him available on the NHS.

Talk to a friend if you have one or make a post on DT. :)

At this stage making a logical plan to reduce the stress sometimes helps, providing that the unhappiness outweighs the anxiety. It is very difficult to plan coherently when you are anxious. If I try to make such a plan by myself I get overwhelmed before I've even begun, so I do it with someone else. It also helps if someone is able to take responsibility for a few of the tasks that are worrying you - if I'm panicky because I have a lot of housework to do in addition to my job, for example, I might agree with pinkparrot that she will make things less daunting by doing the washing-up.

When exhausted

Bed. But not necessarily at once. If you are burnt out you will want to sleep all the time, and ironically this might make you feel even more lethargic. Try and get into a regular sleep pattern, going to bed early and keeping your alarm clock switched off if you can help it. Don't tax yourself too much during the day. Do the things that you find least stressful, and ask for help with the things that you can't manage.

It's at this stage that I tend to feel tearful and guilty. When I'm lying on my bed I get upset about all the things that I think I should have done, but haven't (many of them dating back several years), all the people I have let down over that time, and all the ways in which I am generally a useless person. At times like this I feel too keyed up to pray in my usual way, so I text a good friend to ask him to pray a rosary for me. I take a simple verse from the Bible (usually one of Jesus' sayings) and repeat it quietly to myself until I'm calmer. If you are not religious, it might help to have a friend or family member in the room to help you fend off any nasty thoughts about yourself.

Ideally, you should try and deal with stress before you get to the exhausted stage, but that's not always possible. I sometimes struggle to notice I'm getting stressed until I'm curled up under my quilt like a frozen shrimp. Danni's warning, "Vicky, you're doing too much!" is usually a clue that I'm about to hit the floor and possibly concuss myself, so now I try to slow down whenever she says that. I'm getting better at recognising my own warning signs, too. It's important to know what those are.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Remus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:25 am

Great advice, Vicky! I especially like the one about cuddling a cat and not to mention that their purring is known for it's psychological healing effects. :)
Remus
Site Admin

Postby justme6565 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:31 am

Really? I didn't know that! Another reason for me to get a cat. My mom's afraid of them, so instead we have a dog. Said dog does little for my stress levels when she comes into my messy rooms and begins chewing my belongings to shreds... :?
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby Remus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:54 am

Indeed. Cats will purr in a way to get the owner's attention so the cat can get food, social interaction etc. Cats will also purr if they been involving in a fight or accident where they are either injured or dying as it works as a psychological healing process. I believe they have done studies on humans that show that having a cat purring next to you actually decreasing your stress levels and calms you down which is amazing!

Wow, getting me talking about animals and I totally go off on one! :P I'm the opposite, I'm very uneasy around dogs just because the fact I don't know what their behaviours are and plus, I try walk one once and got pulled across a field for ages. :oops:
Remus
Site Admin

Postby justme6565 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:34 am

Remus wrote:Wow, getting me talking about animals and I totally go off on one! :P I'm the opposite, I'm very uneasy around dogs just because the fact I don't know what their behaviours are and plus, I try walk one once and got pulled across a field for ages. :oops:

You and my dog would most likely not get along very well... :P :lol:
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby Remus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Apart from my sister's old dog, I don't think there is any dog that would get along with me! :P
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Cynamon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:19 pm

I've always believed that a purring cat can cure any bad mood. Our kitten Tinker has the loudest purr I've ever heard and it always makes me feel better.
Cynamon

Postby justme6565 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:47 pm

I was really stressed out a few hours ago, but I had a volenteer appointment that I had to go to. After I volenteered, I felt much better.
justme6565
Forum Master

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips