Reading body language

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Reading body language

Postby eoakley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi, I recently completed my first placement on my PGCE I training to be a teacher, and one of the comments I got on my report was that I need to concentrate on my body language, to make me look more confident, what can I do?

I cant tell much from a person by their body language so any tips or advice would be great.

Emma
eoakley
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:16 pm

I need help with this too-the children where I work are mainly preverbal and so communicate primarily through body language which I struggle to understand.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:18 pm

I have problems "reading people" and their body language too. My mom always tells me to keep my shoulders back and my chin up a little to show I'm confident. Also, it helps if you look the person in the eye. This takes practice--I'm not so great at it--but it's good to know. Speak up with your voice, but not too loud. I dunno. I have problems with all of this so I am working on it.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Reading body language

Postby Skinny3600 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 pm

move your hands when your talking i dont know why you need to, tbh id just point at the board :P
Skinny3600
Forum Master

Postby Rosie-posie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:46 pm

stand up straight try and give good eye contact, maybe use gestures when ur teaching such as pointing to eyes and ears for listen or look this way and this may sound bonkers but be bouncy and full of vibrance so the children want to learn this will helpm gie you a confident presence and so the children know that your incharge. Ive only learnt this from my own struggles on teaching practice i hope it helps.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:57 am

1.) Stand up tall and look around you a lot. If making eye contact is difficult, focus on the children's foreheads.

2.) Don't look at the floor. When you're writing on the board, always turn round before you talk. Your voice needs to carry. Clear speech gives the impression of confidence as well.

3.) Identify any personal mannerisms that show nerves (hand-wringing, rocking back and forth, etc.) and try to prevent these if at all possible. When you get used to teaching you will probably find that you no longer display these little signs of anxiety.

4.) You can buy illustrated books on improving and interpreting body language. The Collins Gem series has got a handy pocket guide that I've found very useful in the past.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips