Autism test

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

What was your score on the autism test?

0-10 (low)
4%
11-22 (most women score about 15, most men score about 17)
16%
23-31 (above average)
48%
32-50 (very high - most people with Asperger's syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 35)
32%

Total votes : 25

Autism test

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:29 pm

http://www.msnbc.com/modules/newsweek/autism%5Fquotient/

A friend showed this to me, and I scored 28 (above average).
It would be interesting to see how people score.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:37 pm

I scored 34 (very high).

It says that most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism clock in at about 35. According to the psychologist who assessed me, I don't fully meet the criteria for a diagnosis of AS. I am out there in no man's land - an autistic place without a name!
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby mattie » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:21 pm

I scored 26 which is in the above average range.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

ASD

Postby k9ruby » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:22 pm

I scored 27. Just wondering vicky if you know about PDD -NOS?
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:30 pm

Yes, I've looked into that. I don't like the label though. It makes me sound sloppy. Like somebody's leftovers. :(

I have to admit that it's probable, though.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby bibliophile » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:02 pm

whats 33?

how does that put me?
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:32 pm

I got 20!
x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:25 pm

Do you think that dyspraxia qualifies as an autistic spectrum disorder in its own right? I once attended a NAGTY psychology course that featured a lecture on autism research. The lecturer was Dr Fiona Scott, one of Simon Baron-Cohen's colleagues, and she told me that dyspraxia is perhaps linked to autism, but it is not on the spectrum. My special needs teacher insists that dyspraxia is an ASD, but she does not have Dr Scott's qualifications.

I am in two minds about this one. I like to think of dyspraxia as the bridge between specific learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyscalculia, et al.) and autism, but I'm really not sure. So many dyspraxic people have social and communication difficulties, but others have no problems beyond co-ordination, perception, and various other cognitive functions - i.e. short-term memory. I don't know what to think.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby fuzzy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:08 am

I got 33 too- thats high... :cry:
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:10 am

I reckon that lots of ppl with dyspraxia will have some slight form of autism- they go hand in hand, like asthma and eczema.... but I think that they are seperate conditions.
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:21 am

I got 28.

Before I took the test I predicted I get between 18-22, so my score was slightly higher than I expected!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

ASD

Postby k9ruby » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:25 pm

I think dyspraxia would be simlar to AS on the spretrum, I think it counts! :wink:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm unsure. My nephew is autistic (high-functioning) and yet as soon as you meet him you know that there's something different about him. It's not just his posture and the fact that he refuses to look at you, it's the way he flaps his hands and mumbles, and seems to see things that you can't. Some people have told me that they can tell I am not 'normal' after ten or fifteen minutes in my company, but I can go undetected for far longer than Ben can. This makes me think that AS is not 'the syndrome next door' after all.

I would love to know for sure, but I don't think there will ever be any certainty about autism and its allies.
parnassus
Site Admin

ASD

Postby k9ruby » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:01 pm

My best m8s b/f has AS. She didn't know until he told her! :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:45 pm

parnassus wrote:I am in two minds about this one. I like to think of dyspraxia as the bridge between specific learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyscalculia, et al.) and autism, but I'm really not sure. So many dyspraxic people have social and communication difficulties, but others have no problems beyond co-ordination, perception, and various other cognitive functions - i.e. short-term memory. I don't know what to think.

Hmm...maybe that's because Dyspraxia isn't one disorder. It could very well be that it's an umberella term for various disorders. Some psychologists think there's no such thing a shitzophrenia - its a name given to several distinct disorders which need clarification. I'm not comparing schitzophrenia to dyspraxia - schitzophrenia is a disease, dyspraxia is a disorder. Howevr, categorizing the way the mind works is complicated and full of grey areas (not that i can claim to have any expertise on the subject).

My problems aren't as bad as those of others on this forum. My co-ordination is my main difficulty, and I have poor short-term memory. I don't have the same social problems as people on this forum, but I do have some.

Vicky, from what you have said, it seems that body language and intonation are completely foreign languages to you. For me, they are foreign, but I understand a little. I remember watching a French man and and English man have a conversation in a pub once. The French man more or less understoo English, and the English man more or less understood French. They both spoke in their native tongues and the other one understood the basics, enough to get by. However, they couldn't speak in the other person's language - their knowledge didn't extend that far.

That's what body language is like for me. I get the gist of what is going on, most of the time. But I can't really replicate it. I find it hard to sit still, look people in the eye (or even in their general direction) and I have this weird nervous twith with my hands which I'm not constantly aware of. Showing my feelings in my face doesn't come naturally to me. The thing is, people don't understand that body language is forign to me, so they don't make the same allowances they would if I struggled with their word-language. I keep getting told off for looking at people in the wrong way, or for staring at people, when I'm not. I try to mile at people and lopk at them , but I don't always remember, and sometimes 'm so busy concentrating on doing that that I forget what I'm saying/doing.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat