Anyone get...

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Anyone get...

Postby Bladen » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:50 pm

You know when you're in a room with a canny amount of people speaking all at once and speaking all different things.
Well, I know a few people are like this anyway but I seem to have a problem where I just implode and drift away.
Its not all the time but now and again I seem to have this problem, I think its something to do with my ears trying to decipher what EVERYONE is saying, every exact word and its too much.
Its annoying for when I'm in busy places or unfamiliar places because one minute I'm fine the next I'm half dead.
Sometimes I even get headaches.
Hell, sometimes it doesn't even happen. Its random and when it happens it can be quite tiring.

So, anyone have an idea of exactly what this is, or betteryet, does anyone else get this problem too? :?:
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Anyone get...

Postby parnassus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Auditory processing problems are a common feature of dyspraxia and related neurological conditions. Most people's brains are able to filter out irrelevant sounds without any effort, making it possible for them to concentrate on just one conversation in a crowded room or to block out unhelpful background noise (such as pens scratching on paper in the classroom). This innate ability simply isn't there for most dyspraxic people. A mental implosion is a good way of describing what happens - you vanish into your own head, comprehending nothing; or you become extremely anxious and start exhibiting outward symptoms of panic. I struggle with this a lot. On Wednesday mornings I work in a class of five students, providing one-to-one assistance to each student in turn, and I really struggle to block out the teacher's voice as she addresses the others. I lose my focus and find myself making basic mistakes in my own teaching. The more people there are around me, the worse this problem becomes. I suffer from panic attacks as a result, and it takes me a long time to regain my clarity of thought afterwards.

Poor auditory processing is compounded by other typical dyspraxic problems, such as a weak attention span and impaired social and communication skills. I find group conversations especially stressful, as paying full attention to the conversation. processing what each person has to say, and working out when to make my own contributions are all very difficult. I will blurt out things as I think of them and end up interrupting people, and as my thoughts are often with the things that they were discussing several minutes ago (due to impaired attention span) what I say isn't always relevant to what they're talking about now. I know that I can come across as rude, and I find it all very stressful.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby kerrianne92 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:53 pm

I also have that problem but then I am diagnosed with C.A.P.D (central auditory prosessing disorder) altho not many people have heard of it, my GP hadn't heard of it!
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Strange thing is, this doesn't happen with music but only with spoken words.
When there's several conversations at once, brain goes *weeeeee, boom* crash and burn.
The problem seems to be a lot more prominent now than it was when I was younger for some reason, resulting on me having to say "what" or move closer to the person speaking. I can't even remember how I used to deal with it anymore.
Worst case is when a few people are shouting, it burns your ears. (even IF I can handle loud amps, its just whenever someone tries to talk over them, well... may as well give up, I just nod and pretend to know and answer :lol: )

Because its random and sometimes its very bad or very mild, there's nothing I can really do to lessen its effect and whenever I'm having a bad day or moment with it, I feel so badly out of energy and people say I look like I'm dying, I go pale, eyes go bloodshot and sometimes my damn hands start shaking more than usual.
Its awkward especially when you're out a lot like me.
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Yeah I have the same problem. When I was younger, I would compensate for this by demanding that everyone remain silent and listen solely to me. My parents assumed this was just me being selfish and rude but the reality was it was the only way I could cope because otherwise all the noise became too much for my poor brain! I also have the problem Vicky mentioned with butting into conversations with speech that is no longer relevant because the topic of conversation changed 5 minutes ago! I find it one of the most frusteating aspects of dyspraxia because most people simply can't understand why dyspraxics have so much trouble with it because they don't have to even think about it!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Bladen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:23 am

The 5 minutes too late thing is another trait I share with many fellow dyspraxics.
Well, I pay bugger all attention anyway and it results in much lulz when I'm caught off guard. :mrgreen:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 am

I also have soem troubel with thsi.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes I also have trouble with blocking out background noise. I find it hard to focus on a conversation when there are other conversations going on around me. If I'm in a group I have trouble working out when it is polite for me to speak and I think thst it sometimes comes across as though I'm being rude. I'm better at coping with these problems when I'm with people I know well and feel comfortable with.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:27 pm

I also find it difficult blocking out noises around me. It amazes me how some people can follow several different conversations at once where I have to concentrate hgard just to keep track of one! I seldom talk when I'm in a group, mainly because I don't know when my turn to speak should be.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips