wood work!

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby Chinagirl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 am

i once perforated myself with the saw when sawing wood :lol:
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Re: wood work!

Postby the monk in question » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:28 am

I was awful at wood work, but thankfully I had supportive class mates who helped me greatly. I should really be more thankful.
he not busy being born is busy dying
the monk in question
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:01 pm

I was the worst in the class at woodwork-luckily my DT teacher took pity on me and ended up doing most of it for me and then I got to give it up in Year 9.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:48 pm

I got to give up Woodwork in year 10. I hated it. Everything took me a lot longer to do than everyone else in the class. I still have what I made in year 9, somehow I managed to produce a wooden box for keeping nail varnish in.

In metal work, which was just as nasty then I somehow produced candlestick holders. Most of the problems that I had I can't remember. It was horrible and I've blocked them out and can't recall them.

As for sounds disturbing me then I found that at times it was harder to cope with than other times. If I was tired, unwell or upset about something then it became more difficult to tolerate. But it was bearable. I didn't need to wear ear plugs and I could manage to tolerate touching sandpaper even though I didn't like it. One thing that I find very difficult to tolerate is wearing rubber or plastic gloves. I will avoid this at all costs!
Creative
Forum God !

Postby HairyLemon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:16 pm

I was forced to take wood work for GCSE and i hated it. Not only because I'm awful at it but because i had the worst class ever. Most of the class were unteachable and we would often have senoir teaches come in to see how the class was. The teacher set up a afterschool class to help us and that helped improved me a lot but i still only got a D which annoyed me because i tried hard and it was my only grade below a C.
Imagination is more important than knowledge
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby the monk in question » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:31 pm

HairyLemon wrote:I was forced to take wood work for GCSE and i hated it. Not only because I'm awful at it but because i had the worst class ever. Most of the class were unteachable and we would often have senoir teaches come in to see how the class was. The teacher set up a afterschool class to help us and that helped improved me a lot but i still only got a D which annoyed me because i tried hard and it was my only grade below a C.

well done!
he not busy being born is busy dying
the monk in question
Super Poster

Postby C » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Oh the horrors of wood work at school! As I read the title of this thread all the awful memories came back to haunt me! I'm not joking either, I had some trurly terrible experiences. So I feel for you and I hope that something is done to help you. I'm glad you've spoken to the teacher about it. When I was in year ten I got to give up cookery (we had to choose one technology for year ten and I'd dropped wood work by then) and focus on my studies instead, going to the library. Perhaps something similiar could be arranged for you?
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips