Keeping up in writing

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Keeping up in writing

Postby luckyzoe1234 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:07 pm

In school when we have to listen and write what the teacher os sayingg ican never keep up.

Why is it i am the only one in my class that can't keep up.

If it helps i am the only dyspraxic in my school

will i ever improve or will i always get confused over the smallest things likr filling in a reading test.

I am in year 9

thank you

:?
luckyzoe1234

Re: Keeping up in writing

Postby the monk in question » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:02 pm

I tend to write too fast meself but one time we did that and I couldn't keep up - even though i speed right, pretty strange.
he not busy being born is busy dying
the monk in question
Super Poster

Postby majinjoebob » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:13 pm

I have the same problem, I wrote slow and had to stop every once in a wile cuse my wrist would hurt,
and I was so focused on the writing I never rememberd what the teacher said,

I was eventually put in special ed and on my IEP (Im in New York not sure if its the same in the UK) I was able to have a scribe maybe that would be good for you,

or just get your notes from a friend

eithr way talk to the teacher and let them know your having a problem becuse of a learning disability and Im sure something can be worked out,
majinjoebob

Postby Cynamon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:41 am

I could never write notes in school, still can't. But I agree with majinjoebob. Talk to your teacher about it and see what help you can get.
Cynamon

Postby bpcooper » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:21 am

Try to get evaluated for a laptop to use at school. I used one and it made things a hell of a lot easier.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby justme6565 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:44 pm

I agree with bpcooper, but if your school won't let you use that, then try one of these: http://www.renlearn.com/neo/NEO2/default.aspx There're called Alphasmart Neos and they give you the Word Processing functions of a laptop without everything else; your school may be more willing. I had the same problem as you before I got one of these. They ship to the US; I'm sure they'll ship to the UK. Good Luck!
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:43 pm

It may help to get a dictaphone. They're cheaper than laptops, and small (so people won't notice you're using one if you feel self-conscious about it.)
Failing that, borrow a friend's excercise book after classes and catch up that way.
There are also some special pens that help improve writing quality and speed. Yoropen and s-move are both very good.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby mysticalwater » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:58 pm

I usually copy the person next to me but I supose talking to your teacher is the best way.
mysticalwater
Super Poster

Postby kitty123 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:39 pm

i use an alphsmart it helps alot they are expensive but it does realy help i am they only one that uses one but everybody says its cool
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby justme6565 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 pm

kitty123 wrote:i use an alphsmart it helps alot they are expensive but it does realy help i am they only one that uses one but everybody says its cool

That's very simular to my experiences.
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby charity » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:49 pm

your proably already doing this, but if ur just taking notes, be sureto do it notes style. waht i mean is, dontwrite every word , if ur teacher repeates, only writeti once, abreviate, and only write teh most important stuff down. i somtimes get behind in writing, so i do more shorthand wich helps me keep up.
charity
Power Poster

Postby james dragonz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm

i can actually relate to most of that, i would convince my teachers to let me use my laptop but they prob wouldnt on several grounds
1. i am an easily distracted skiver and will prob hack the schools wireless to get on youtube
2. they are convinced (just like my mother) that i am just lazy because i can actually write neatly but it REALLY hurts my wrist and takes AGES, they tried to make me write joined up once but i just said "ok" and gave them an illegible scrawl which isn't far from my real joined up writing.
3. my teachers hate me and would say that i would lose my head if it wasnt screwed on (which is still insulting even if it is TOTALLY true as my organisation skills aren't dissimilar to those of a cockroach :twisted:

and as one last thing i wouldnt want to take my six hundred pound laptop into the school i go to, the only reason i take my mp3 is because it is small and i have two others :D
i really hate the size restrictions on avatars, oh well thats life i suppose
james dragonz

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips