Showering/Bathing

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Showering/Bathing

Postby Cynamon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:39 am

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for remembering to shower etc daily.

I know it's gross but I forget constantly, and I don't just mean for the odd day. Sometimes it's a couple of weeks.

I know it's gross, and I don't *want* to walk around smelling and looking dirty, but I honestly forget and I just can't make myself remember.

If anyone has any tips it would be great :D

Thanks
Cynamon

Re: Showering/Bathing

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:06 am

Do you have a PDA or a reminder system on your mobile phone? If so, you could set it to remind you at a certain time each day to shower or have a bath. I hope this helps a bit.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby kerrianne92 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:44 pm

you could put post it notes around the house like by a mirror or something so you can read it as you walk into the bath room or something
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:41 pm

Well, if your hair is anything like mine you'll be able to tell how many days since you've had a shower by looking at it. On day 2 my hair is already pretty greasy so I could not possibly leave it more than a week without having sealife living in it. Or eggs boiled on it.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 am

Showering was a part of my daily routine as I was growing up. My parents would insist that I had either a bath or a shower in the morning, right from when I was a baby up until when I was eleven and able to wash myself without help. If you make it an unshakeable part of your routine you will remember much more easily. Decide whether you are going to have your shower in the morning or the evening and stick to that time. Mobile phone reminders are good, and so are Post-It notes on the bathroom mirror - use both. If you decide to shower in the morning, you could stick a Post-It on your alarm clock where you will see it at once.

Sometimes I forget whether I have showered or not, and then my response is to check my hair (it stays damp for a long time) or simply to shower again just to make sure. Providing I follow my routines for the day, this sort of forgetting is unlikely.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby JovitaRush-Morgan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:17 pm

im in a routine of showering every other day - i still forget which day i showered though. I live in at college at the moment so i ask my room mate when i showered if im confused and she tells me when. She reminds me too if need be. Do you live with anyone that could remind you? My sister has a chart on the back of her bedroom door that she has to look at before leaving, and it says what days she does what (such as shower, do her washing e.c.t) maybe this kind of thing would help? A whitebord would be good - you can rearrange stuff if you need too without making a whole new chart. :)
JovitaRush-Morgan

Postby Alice » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:07 pm

If theres something you do everyday, do it right after or before that. Showering after brushing your teeth is a good idea. I never have the problem of forgetting for ages. If I leave it 6 hours to long, my hair becomes noticably greacy.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Alice wrote:If theres something you do everyday, do it right after or before that. Showering after brushing your teeth is a good idea. I never have the problem of forgetting for ages. If I leave it 6 hours to long, my hair becomes noticably greacy.

lol I know exactly what you mean, though my hair doesn't grease up THAT quick, gimme a day and it has. It sucks. The more you wash the quicker your hair greases up too.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips