Cooking

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:17 pm

I am going to start cooking dinner for y family every Saturday to prpare me for going away to University.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Ben Jackson » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:20 pm

I can do tin of spaghetti in the mircowave with toast and abit of cheese. When my mum dad & went on hoilday when it was just me by my-self at home they brought me frozen lasagna which I did in the mircowave with along a tin of spaghetti (also done in the mircowave).
Ben :D
B Jackson
Ben Jackson
Splendiferous Member

Cheats bacon carbonara!

Postby k9ruby » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Cheats bacon carbonara!

Involves no chopping/cutting, tasty and quick!

Serves 2.

Ingredients:

- 8 rolls of Tageteli (sp?)
- Ready chopped bacon
- Phily cream cheese w/chives
- black pepper to sprinkle!

Method:

- Fill a medium sized pan with water. Just over half way.
- Put this of a high heat with a lid on top (boils quicker)
- wait until boiling.
- Stick the pasta in. (Don't drop from a height otherwise it splashes!)
- Put a small dollop of olive oil in a frying pan, about a third of the size of your palm.
- Put the pan on a very low heat.
- Stir pasta
- chuck bacon in (all of it)
- keep stiring pasta and bacon, be careful not to pile the bacon up, but spread it round the pan.
- Wait until around 8-10 minutes
- Put pasta on low heat
- Stir in about 2/3 of a tub of the cream cheese, VERY VERY QUICKLY!
- Use half of a small cup of the pasta water and stick in frying pan. Stir in.
- When smooth, turn heat of pasta and pan off, checking it is cooked first.
- Drain pasta.
- Spoon pasta into frying pan
- Mix until covered

Ready to serve (2)

Optional: Mix black pepper in. Spring oinions are quite nice too.

:)

No ones complained/died/been posioned yet, so I think this dish is quite successful!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:12 pm

I didn't know you could get ready chopped bacon! That sounds handy, I shall look out for that!
Creative
Forum God !

tesco

Postby k9ruby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 pm

I didn't know you could get ready chopped bacon! That sounds handy, I shall look out for that!

Tesco :)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Miwa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:17 pm

I started to cook with the nintendo DS game "Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat?" and this is useful, it explains everything ! It helps me a lot, to not forget some steps.
Miwa
Super Poster

Re: Cooking

Postby Creative » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:55 am

I tried to make cheese sauce but stiring is very difficult for me! I can't mix it hard enough to prevent lumps! I've tried a whisk which does help a bit.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Creative wrote:I tried to make cheese sauce but stiring is very difficult for me! I can't mix it hard enough to prevent lumps! I've tried a whisk which does help a bit.

keep whisking. Even using an electric whisk, you need to keep going until your arm drops off. Also, don't add all the milk at once.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:15 pm

It makes my wrist hurt so much if I keep whisking. I do as much as I can and then my Mum takes over.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:53 am

I suggest you buy an electric whisk.

I have made several successful omelettes, a lot of pasta and have helped with biscuits and a cake since arriving. I'm making vegetable stew tonight. :)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Well done Esther. :D I hope the stew turns out well.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Miwa » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm very sensitive to textures in food so I never what to eat when I want to vary. I often eat the same things.. I don't know what I can cook xD and I have to bring my lunch at school... I just hate all kinds of vegetables because it's too soft in mouth, I eat so much starchy food like pastas and sandwiches.. It's not very dietetic :/
Miwa
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Raw carrots are nice and crucnchy.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Elyssaen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:11 am

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:I suggest you buy an electric whisk.

I have made several successful omelettes, a lot of pasta and have helped with biscuits and a cake since arriving. I'm making vegetable stew tonight. :)

I want you to have my eggs! They don't last forever, and I don't think I'm able to go to the kitchen. It's too far away and I can't face carrying stuff there and food + stuff back. I'd feel too self-conscious. I shall bring you my eggs tomorrow, if I may.

I need to throw out the mince in the fridge. It went off. I feel ashamed putting it in the bin though, so I've left it there for now. I will probably take it to some other bin somewhere – maybe there's one in the kitchen, if I can get there.

I'm very sensitive to textures in food so I never what to eat when I want to vary. I often eat the same things.. I don't know what I can cook xD and I have to bring my lunch at school... I just hate all kinds of vegetables because it's too soft in mouth, I eat so much starchy food like pastas and sandwiches.. It's not very dietetic :/

I'm very similar. Don't worry too much – just do your best!

My advice:

1. Bassetts Active Health multivitamins. I don't eat many vegetables and my immune system used to be very bad. Since I started taking these daily I haven't been ill in over a year. They taste nice and are quite unthreatening. They're soft and chewy and taste of raspberry (there are other flavours).

2. If it's okay, drink almost nothing but fruit juice. It will help make up for not eating vegetables a bit.

3. Keep an eye out for vegetables that have a texture you're okay with. It's hard experimenting when you feel that it's so unacceptable to not eat vegetables that people would laugh at you, but you could try experimenting on your own by making a little of something. I found that I can eat parsnips (I don't know if I have the same texture issues as you do though).

You're at school, right? If you want to go to university later in life, think very hard about food before you go. (This is good advice for everyone!) Canteens with prepaid meals can be difficult – if you're worried about them, try to find out as much as you can beforehand. Self-catering can be better when it's possible, but it comes with its own problems.
Elyssaen

Postby [gamer girl44] » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:01 pm

I got kicked out of my home ecomics class because my cooking was so bad :(
[gamer girl44]

PreviousNext

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips