Forming my letters correctly

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Forming my letters correctly

Postby luckyzoe1234 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 pm

When i am writing my teaching goes to read through my homework to check it. She says i need to form my letters propaly.Aprenntly my O looked like a U and my D looked like a C

:? :oops:

I don't understand i can understand what i write but no one else can at times.

I am a slow witer as if i write quickly i can't even understand it :(

Will i always be like this i am only 14 and the only dyspraxic in mmy school.? :cry: :( :(
luckyzoe1234

Re: Forming my letters correctly

Postby Piers1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:30 am

Don't worry Zoe I was like you in year 1. Although my techer was more supportive and let me write in my own time. You will improve because I did. I got faster and faster. Mabey at home practice on primary school paper with the dotted lines inbetweenn the main lines. im not sure if you have those books in England or not but yeah. anyway that should help you get the shapes of the lettering right. if all else fails, mabey you could use a laptop? or mabey your teacher could try and give you photocopies of the handouts? ok good luck. You aren't the only dyspraxic here. oox
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Piers1
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Learnwrite centre? It worked for me, although I'm still quite slow. Then again, it depends on how much money you have to spend since it has nothing to do with the NHS.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:52 am

*hugs* If you struggle that much, you really should be allowed a computer in lessons.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:28 am

*Hugs*

Zoe, you will be able to improve your handwriting if you practise enough, but if it's still illegible to other people when you've reached the age of fourteen it is highly unlikely that it's ever going to be easy for you. Esther is right - it would make much more sense if you could use a computer to do your work. That way you would be able to put all your effort into crafting a good piece of work instead of focusing on making your writing neat, and you wouldn't get so anxious and upset. There are few things more demoralising than looking down at a page of writing that took you ages to produce and is still illegible to everyone else. Could you approach your special needs teacher and ask if there is any way you could have a laptop in lessons? It might be possible to get funding for one from the Local Education Authority.

In the meantime, try and find a pen that is easier for you to grip and manipulate. The Dyscovery Centre and the Dyspraxia Foundation both sell pens and pencils that are specially designed for people with motor co-ordination problems, along with some other useful equipment - sloping desktops, paper with slightly raised lines, etc. Also pay attention to your environment when you're writing. Do you struggle to keep your balance on your chair? I find that sitting in a chair with arms makes a big difference to my handwriting, as I don't have to devote so much energy just to keeping on my seat. Where there are no chairs with arms, I find it easiest to sit on the floor. Admittedly this wouldn't be practical for school, though.

The noise level of the classroom also makes a big difference. If it is quite a busy environment, try wearing a soft pair of earplugs to muffle the sound. You will find it easier to concentrate on your writing then.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby charity » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:05 pm

my teachers have never complained about my handwriting.. but my mom cant read a word of it.
charity
Power Poster

Postby james dragonz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:26 pm

yeah i have probs with r's and o's for the most part and f's though as a coping thing i always write r and f as capitals same with p because i think it is dumb that it should have to hang below the line and look like it is trying to murder the letter underneath it XD
i really hate the size restrictions on avatars, oh well thats life i suppose
james dragonz

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips