Washing Your Hair

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Washing Your Hair

Postby justme6565 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Washing hair is hard for me. I hate the feeling of the shampoo on my hand, and, when I put it on my head, I'm always in a rush to get the process over that I end up missing parts of my head. Does any one else have this problem and, if so, any tips?

Note: My Sensory Intergration is not so severe as to trigger panic attacks; I get a chlostraphobia-like feeling.
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Re: Washing Your Hair

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:59 pm

I would recommend using dry-shampoo. This is not as good as real shampoo and you would still have to wash your hair sometimes, but less frequently. Cutting your hair very short may also help.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:57 pm

Have you tried solid shampoo? I've only seen it at lush but I'm sure you can get it elswhere as well. Then again, if it's the lathering part you don't like then that's not much help.

I like the feeling of washing my hair, that's why I don't like solid shampoo. I just strugle to wash the soap out, especially now with the shower I have at uni.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:03 pm

I don't mind shampoo but bar soap, EWWW. Just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine. Anyone else have that? I have to use liquid soap.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kerrianne92 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Dan wrote:I don't mind shampoo but bar soap, EWWW. Just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine. Anyone else have that? I have to use liquid soap.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean Dan! The bars of soap feel awful, especially if they are already wet when you have to use them. I tend to avoid using them if I can but at my mums friend for example is allergic to alot of chemicals so she has to have the bars of very mild soap, so If im there I just try to touch the soap as little as I can whilst still making sure I washed my hand properly.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby kerrianne92 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Dan wrote:I don't mind shampoo but bar soap, EWWW. Just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine. Anyone else have that? I have to use liquid soap.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean Dan! The bars of soap feel awful, especially if they are already wet when you have to use them. I tend to avoid using them if I can but my mums friend for example is allergic to alot of chemicals so she has to have the bars of very mild soap, so If im there I just try to touch the soap as little as I can whilst still making sure I washed my hand properly.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Creative » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:52 pm

I don't like using a bar of soap either. I remember when I was little then it took me ages to learn that you have to rub the bar of soap between your hands and then use your hands to wash your body. I used to rub the whole bar of soap over my body as I didn't realise that I wasn't meant to do that.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Creative wrote:I don't like using a bar of soap either. I remember when I was little then it took me ages to learn that you have to rub the bar of soap between your hands and then use your hands to wash your body. I used to rub the whole bar of soap over my body as I didn't realise that I wasn't meant to do that.

Your not meant to do that? :oops:

Luckly my Mum considers bar soap to be unhygenic (aparently some bacteria can live in the cracks), so I've only had to use it to shower once on holiday and to wash my hands a couple of times.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby justme6565 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Oops... I'm with you, Alice. I though that was how you used bar soap... :|

I don't particularly mind bar soap, but I do tend to drop it, making it ineffective... I stick with liquid body wash and a washcloth....
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Bar soap is very unhygienic-we are banned from using it at work for that reason as bacteria, including faecal bacteria, gets transferred onto the soap by someone washing their hands after the toilet and this bacteria, as Alice's mum said, survive in the cracks and get passed on to the next person. I never use bar soap-I always use liquid handwash when I am washing my hands and showergel when I am in the bath. As for washing my hair, I don't have any sensory issues with this but I do struggle to rinse the shampoo off properly.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Steph wrote:Bar soap is very unhygienic-we are banned from using it at work for that reason as bacteria, including faecal bacteria, gets transferred onto the soap by someone washing their hands after the toilet and this bacteria, as Alice's mum said, survive in the cracks and get passed on to the next person.

EW!
No more bar soap for me.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 pm

I didn't like bar soap anyway but hearing that on our Infection Control lecture put me off for life!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Star » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:41 pm

I don't mind washing my hair but I hate drying it I always end up burning my head. :(
Star
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 am

Star wrote:I don't mind washing my hair but I hate drying it I always end up burning my head. :(

I'm to impatient, so I don't bother. I've tried to straighten it myself a few times too, which didn't go so well. In the words of one of my friends several years ago at a guide sleepover "will somebody other than Alice help me straighten my hair". I wasn't planning to volunteer, but I guess the concept terified her that much.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby justme6565 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm actually okay drying and straightening my hair- that is to say I don't hurt myself. I don't always do the most thorough job of it... :?
justme6565
Forum Master

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips