less than / more than symbols.

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

less than / more than symbols.

Postby Tess » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm just starting out biology and chemistry at A level and I still feel overwhelming panic when confronted by these things: < and >.
I have to explain that something or other is less than Y, but I just can't remember which sign I would need to demonstrate this, and every time I try to work it out, I just fall into this overwhelming sense of confusion.

I'm fairly sure that getting confused over which way around to put letters and symbols is a dyspraxic quirk, does anyone else have this problem? Better yet, does anyone have any strategies to help me remember which one to use?
Tess

Postby ~Jenny~ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Whichever one is less has to go on the same side as the smaller end of the arrow, so if X is less than Y then X < Y

I think at least, I get a bit confused with this sometimes
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby Creative » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:19 pm

Sorry I'm terrible at this! I have only just learnt that horizontal is the same direction as the horizon!
Creative
Forum God !

Postby HairyLemon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:27 pm

I hate those more than less tha signs. The way i remember it is to think that whatever its pointing to is smaller.
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Yes, the point goes next to the smallest thing.

I also had problems with those things.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Spoon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:42 pm

I had problems with them too but if you think of the internet short hand for a heart
<3
means 'less than 3' then you can remember from there. just draw out a heart when you're stuck :p
/internet geak
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby C » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:37 pm

I never understood how to remember which was which out of these symbols at maths in school and I've had to use them at Uni for the last two years as I studied statistics as part of my psychology degree. I think it was nearing the end of my first year when it suddenly clicked that the symbol meaning less had to go on the side as the pointed bit of the arrow. So relating this to psychology, e.g. p = <.05 for if the sig value is less than .05 and p = >.05 for p = more than .05.

If it's really difficult for you, try writing it on a post-it note or something and looking at it every so often, like just before you go to bed every night. I agree that trouble understanding symbols is a dyspraxic trait and I know lots of dyslexic people have trouble with decoding symbols as well as letters.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Tess » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:23 am

Oh wow, thanks, these are really good tips! It's a comfort to know that you've all managed to find strategies for dealing with this stuff. And I can do my science holiday work now, too. Yay :3

Thanks for the help, everyone!
Tess

Re: less than / more than symbols.

Postby JovitaRush-Morgan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:11 pm

i still dont understand these and im in college!
i just ask someone to help me :)
JovitaRush-Morgan

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:21 pm

I remember this being explained to me using a crocodile metaphor, I didn't get it, so I just remembered it without any stupid reptilian metaphor. Just remember the smaller thing is on the small side and you're done.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:38 pm

In primary school I was always told "the crocodile always eats the bigest number" so if you imagine the arrow as a crocodiles jaws, the open end is always facing the largest number.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:36 am

Hey guys, my worst one is longitude and latitude. I think latitude is the X axis and longitude is the Y axis, which is counter-intuitive because the longest length of the Earth is the X axis. I hate terminology sometimes.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby justme6565 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:01 am

Dan wrote:I hate terminology sometimes.

Amen to that... :|
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby Bruce » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Charlie the crocodile only eats big numbers. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bruce
Forum Master

Postby Paddington » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I hate those symbols I have learnt them about 10 times but still cant remember :)
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips