Musical instruments

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Musical instruments

Postby parnassus » Mon May 16, 2005 10:06 am

I have been a piano student for seven years now, and have yet to reach Grade One standard - I confuse left and right, can't read two staves at once, have very poor rhythm, find it difficult to balance on the piano stool, get my fingers jumbled up, and have no control over dynamics because I am unable to work out the right amount of pressure to apply to the keys.

My occupational therapist and special needs teacher believe that learning a musical instrument will help me, but they have concluded that the piano is definitely not the one! So, I have two queries:

1. What instrument would be most suitable for a person with severe dyspraxia? (Please bear in mind that I am oversensitive to noise, so percussion is out of the question.)

2. How can I convince my parents, who love piano and desperately want me to be able to play, to allow me to change to another instrument?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby alexlaird87 » Mon May 16, 2005 10:29 am

how about some kind of wind instrument?
alexlaird87
Forum Master

Guitars, flutes, Clarinets, and Violins!!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue May 17, 2005 3:37 am

I play the acoustic guitar (the normal wood one), piano, and Saxophone. I think that saxophone might be too loud for you if you don't like drums. My parents usually make me practice in my room at home because it is so loud. 8) A better instrument might be the clarinet or the flute, which are softer and are very nice sounding. :D My sisters play the flute, it takes a lot of air, I think clarinet may be the best bet, but that is my opinion. 8) :D I would like to learn clarinet. Have you tried string instruments: ie guitars, or violins?? Acoustic guitars are not usually as expensive as saxophones and such from my experience, but you have to look for quality. 8) :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby medrich11 » Tue May 17, 2005 10:14 am

I play the cornet and I have yet to reach grade 1 after 4 years.
I tried the band yesterday and had a severe panic attack because I could only play two notes. :lol:
medrich11
Mega Poster

Postby bibliophile » Tue May 17, 2005 2:03 pm

wind instruments take lots of hand-eye coardination, i think and instrument that you can see your fingers in will help perhapse guitar?
there is a fine line between genius and insanity... i have erased this line!-anonymous
bibliophile
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Tue May 17, 2005 7:17 pm

Guitar and violin both require too much co-ordination for me - so many strings, and both hands having to rapidly do different things at different times! The flute sticks out to the side, and I can barely move my fingers if I can't see them. I am looking into clarinet. Thank you, everyone. :D
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby hwyaden » Fri May 20, 2005 2:56 pm

why not the clarinet? I'm dyspraxic and I recently passed Grade 5 quite well. Another advantage is that since I started playing in a county windband with loads of people from other schools, I think my confidence has increased. I've had to because if I make a stupid mistake everyone notices cos I play solo. I've had to laugh it off,haha. :D
From Shakespeare's 'Merry Wives of Windsor'
Falstaff: Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
hwyaden

Postby parnassus » Fri May 20, 2005 4:20 pm

The OT is going to try to convince my parents that clarinet is a better option than piano! We'll see how it goes.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby lukeyj » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:43 am

I've played the guitar for about 3 and a half years, i can pick up things nicely, but my rhythm suffers quite nasty. Though i've found, when playing at night, everything goes together like a dream.

Lately i've not played much guitar, slightly disheartened by my lack of co-ordination.
lukeyj

Crazy about music!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:11 pm

I am crazy about music, i have been playing the piano since i was five! My teacher was brilliant with me and persisted with problems that were bound to come up, with me being dyspraxic and all! But we kept on going for years and years and we craked it! My next grade in grade five! I have also had professional singing lessons for about three years now, and am on grade five have performed in london twice and on many other stages i really hope to get somwhere within this industry! It's been a amazing achievement for me to be able to do music, and has helped me in alot in a huge number of aspects of my life, and i praise all fellow music players and the joy of it myself!!!! :D
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby fuzzy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:21 pm

I play guitar (electic and classical) quite well- grade 5 classical and I could cope on ruthm guitar in a band.... but I used to play the violin and I was AWFULLL!!!! I got to grade3 or 4 in 6 years!! Honestly.... my violinb skills were embarrasingly bad! :oops: lol :lol:

I say try recorder- its a good easy one to get started on. Besides, I reckon that the more instruments you leran, the easier it becomes. You might find that learning another simple instrument might help improve your piano! Thats what happened to me :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Postby _C_ » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:54 pm

parnassus wrote:Guitar and violin both require too much co-ordination for me - so many strings, and both hands having to rapidly do different things at different times! The flute sticks out to the side, and I can barely move my fingers if I can't see them. I am looking into clarinet. Thank you, everyone. :D

Guitar = way hard. Dont go there.

Im a drummer. Have been for five years. There is a solution to the whole loudness thing. If youre interested - give me a bell and i can show you what you could do instead of having a huge noisy kit.
_C_
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:25 pm

I used to play the flute, but I had to give up because of other things. I agree that woodwind instruments probably take less co-ordination than the piano, although you can't really find an instrument which requires no use of co-ordination at all.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:31 pm

My dad did suggest the triangle...

:D
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby _C_ » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:17 pm

parnassus wrote:My dad did suggest the triangle...

:D

or the Xylophone! :lol:
_C_
Super Poster

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat