Outlook on life

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Outlook on life

Postby justme6565 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:09 am

I guess this isn't solely about dyspraxia, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it, so here goes:

I'm having issues with my outlook on life. I used to be a bubbly optimist, a real half-glass-full kind of person. But, for whatever reason, my outlook has changed, and I'm pretty pessimistic. Does anyone have any tips to regain and maintain a positive outlook?
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Re: Outlook on life

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Has a stressful situation brought this on, or did it "just happen"?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Lady Macbeth » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:28 pm

I've gone through phases of real pessimism, so I know what it's like! Poor you *hug* I hope some of my advice helps and you have a bubbly glass once more! ;-)

1. Treat yourself. Do things that make you smile. Watch a funny film, chat to a friend, listen to happy songs, reach an acheivement or just bake and eat the most amazing triple chocolate, greatly fattening but amazingly yummy brownies! :)
2. Avoid sad stuff. This may sound obvious, but I find with stuff I normally enjoy - say music - I pick up the mood without realising. So avoid sad stuff, and don't try and force yourself to act "normally" cos it may just highlight how different you're feeling.
3. Notice one good thing every day. Write it down, and as you add to your list, read through it. Really make an effort. Quote nice things people say; watch people on the bus to see if they do something sweet or funny; remember that the flower you stopped to sniff in that hedge smelt gorgeous.
4. If there's specific stuff you're stressed about, here's my method. I put on my trainers, grab a pen and paper and go for a run. (I get twitchy and full of adrenaline when I'm anxious!!) I get to the nearest body of water (a stream about 20 minutes from my house) and write about what I'm feeling. Or if it's something a friend has done, sometimes I write them a letter. I hold it in my hands and imagine putting the problem onto the sheet. (I'm a Christian, so here I normally pray too :) ) Then I throw the paper - and my problem - into the water and watch them float AWAY from me. Then turn my back and walk away without looking back.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Lady Macbeth
Advanced Member

Postby Alice » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:59 pm

How old are you exactly? It may just be your age, hormones can do strange things to pepols mood. That doesn't make it any funner for you though. Make sure you get plenty of sleep and stay active, as that helps allot.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby justme6565 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:54 am

I think it is hormones... I'm almost fifteen. There isn't one particular incident; I just think a lot of school related stress is causing this as well. It's just annoying. I'm trying to catch myself when I'm about to put myself down or looking at the negative side. I'm good at helping others to be positive, but myself....
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby Fortnox » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Seems to me you're at the age when the glossy, rose-coated picture of the world from your childhood starts to fall apart.

Sure, the world isn't all chocolate rivers and smiles, but it isn't all bad either. Perhaps you shouldn't strive to be optimistic nor pessimistic, but try to picture the world from a neutral stand-point. I believe doing so tends to create a less delicate emotional balance. Just my 2 cents, you don't have to care.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips