Passing your Driving Test.

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Passing your Driving Test.

Postby holster » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:23 pm

I have Dyspraxia, and passed my driving test last Thursday 4th time round YAY!!!

So heres a few tips on learning to drive and taking your driving test:
Firstly learn in an automatic as you dont have to worry about the clutch or changing gears it seriously so much easier,

Find a good instructor who you get on with because that can make learn easier,

Go with an instructor with a good rep BSM have some good instructors and they give you discounts on booking lessons in blocks of ten or more which means you dont have to worry about paying for each lesson individually,

If you forget how far youve turned the steering wheel during a manuvure then stop turn the wheel until it dosent turn anymore then turn it back the other way 1 and a half turns then its straight,

Have youre window open when you drive then you can hear cars that are coming up behind you,

When taking your test ask if they can use hand signals for left and right so youre clear which way to go,

Take a deep breath before your test, the examiners are human I had a lovely lady examiner (who passed me) who was chatting to me all the way through the test (if this puts you off tell them to sshhh)

If you want to have the radio during your test tell the examiner and then put it on the exminers dont mind having the radio on as long as it helps you drive safely.

Good luck!!! xxx
holster

Re: Passing your Driving Test.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Well done on passing your test. :D
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby holster » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Thamk you!!! xxx
holster

Postby Steph » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Yes, well done :D I would like to see if driving is possible for me but unfortunately the DVLA are very reluctant to offer me a provisional licence because they don't seem to understand what dyspraxia is (I have met a lot of people who have told me that I should never have declared it on my provisional driving licence application form but I wanted to be honest) and, after sending me back my cheque a total of 10 times because I am stuck in limbo (the DVLA want me to go for an assessment of my coordination problems before they will give me a provisional driving licence but most of the people responsible for the assessments of this kind won't do it without a provisional driving licence as part of the assessment involves driving a real car), I got fed up with them and so have given up on them at the moment.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:07 pm

In case the above post sounds overly bitter, I should point out that I first applied for a provisional licence in March 2007 and, by the time I gave up earlier this year, I still hadn't got one. 2 years of fighting an endless bureaucratic battle really wears you down in the end!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Piers1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:37 am

Thankyou! My learner doesn't know I have Dyspraxia.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Piers1
Forum Master

Postby holster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Hey Guys Glad this helped you,

With regards to declaring dyspraxia on your provisional I personally didnt bother, however when I got told I passed by the examiner I mentioned I had dyspraxia and she said she couldnt tell I had it (as mine is only really mild) so she said not to bother putting it on the full license unless it gets loads worse or Im wanting to learn in a manual car, because it would then become really obvious, although I only got two minors they were both on awareness on the road so that was the only thing that would have given the fact i had dyspraxia away. Now Im driving on my own Im finding I struggle with "sensing" how fast Im going so I have to check every two seconds LOL!!! :D
holster

Postby holster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Steph dont give up though hun!!!! We just have to grin and bear it as we normally do, the DVLA are a bit awkward, I agree with the fact I dont think they understand what it is, my old driving instructor taught a guy with mobility problems and he said he struggled to get his license but he still had use of his hand so they finally agreed as long as he had a specially adapted car, which is a pain when youre having such a hard time because we dont need to adapt the car fully to make it easier for us, but seriously dont give up!!! Its well worth it in the end knowing that when you pass your test you will have the freedom to go where ever you want without relying on everyone else and I dont know about you but it infuriated me waiting for a bus in the rain!!! (although I dont mind getting on buses!) xxx
holster

Postby Piers1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:11 am

My Learning instructor doesn't know.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Piers1
Forum Master

Postby kerrianne92 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:32 pm

It isnt actually necesary to out dyspraxia on your form, can I ask what you ticked/wrote steph? My driving instructer is fully aware of my dyspraxia and he is very good about it all.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Ahh come on, if dyspraxia is going to impact your driving you shouldn't 1] make excuses about it and get on with it or 2] be driving at all because it a car can kill people and if you believe dyspraxia is going to effect the way you drive then your going to think you are a bad driver and if you crash your going to blame dyspraxia.

If by chance you kill someone in the car and you are up in court and turn around saying it was my dyspraxia that caused the problem, the judge is going to say it was not relevant or why were you on the road and at that stage you are on your way to prison with a serious conviction on your record
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:59 pm

I ticked other and then wrote about dyspraxia and the coordination issues it causes. I have been told that it's not necessary to disclose it but I got freaked out when I read a DVLA guidance thing that said if you are involved in a crash that is as a direct result of a disability you have but didn't declare on the form, then it's a £1000 penalty at the minimum.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Rosie-posie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:13 pm

I didnt disclose it on the form and when i had lessons ages ago i dint mention it but when i have lessons again i might do.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Page » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Steph wrote:I read a DVLA guidance thing that said if you are involved in a crash that is as a direct result of a disability you have but didn't declare on the form, then it's a £1000 penalty at the minimum.

Of course, how do they go about proving that a crash is disability-related?

I've been driving for about 9 years and there are a few things that help:

1. Definitely get an automatic.

2. Bigger vehicles are safer. These little eco-cars I see everywhere are death traps... you could hit one of those things with a large vehicle in an accident and completely destroy it.

3. look far ahead and anticipate what might happen before you get there

4. Get a GPS navigation system with spoken instructions. (like tomtom) Reading maps/written directions can be very dangerous and frustrating.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Piers1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 am

Yesterday I nearly got me and my driving instructor killed, TWICE, when going through a round-a-bout. :-(
Piers1
Forum Master

Next

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips