swallowing pills

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

swallowing pills

Postby charity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:33 pm

hi. i am 14 yrs old and still cannot swallow a pill. ocasionaly somhow or other 1 will go dwon my throat, but for teh most part, no. HELP!
charity
Power Poster

Re: swallowing pills

Postby Creative » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 pm

I had this problem when I was a teenager. My Mum had tried to show me how to swallow a pill and tilt my head back and I can't do it like that. What I do is put the tablet on my tongue, take a big gulp of juice and swallow it down. Just keep practising and find what works for you.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Dino » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:38 pm

I used to have this problem when I was younger. What works for me is putting the pill on my tongue, then take a big gulp of water and swallow normally. I don't think about the pill, I just think about swallowing the water. After doing that lots of times, I've completely gotten used to it and can now swallow pills without any trouble at all. :)
Dino

Postby Steph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:20 pm

I've never had problems with swallowing pills but my sister used to really struggle with them as they would make her retch and my boyfriend hates taking them and says he prefers injections over pills-strange guy :lol: I also put the pill on my tongue and take a gulp of water. At the special school where I work, almost every student is on at least one form of anticonvulsant medication to prevent epileptic seizures (most of them take at least 2 forms) and a good proportion of them are also on behavioural medications and a lot of them take them in yoghurt, jam or chocolate spread if they can't handle taking them with a drink so that could be something to try to get you used to taking them.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:18 pm

I used to have great difficulty with this but I'm fine with it now. I find taking it with water helps.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:26 pm

I used to have real trouble swallowing pills and still occassionally do today. I find that taking very deep breaths helped me out.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:50 pm

Another thing that may help is holding your nose. I don't know WHY this helps. It just does.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby JamesStanley » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:57 pm

I have this problem as well but i find that if you have a drink with the tablet it usually goes straight down
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:28 pm

I have a big fear of swallowing tablets. I prefer to take liquid Neurofen(sp)
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 am

I struggle with taking tablets, but find using a fizzy drink instead of water helps (I think the bubbles help them go down).

Doesn't always work though :(
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cynamon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 pm

The only way I can swallow tablets is if I take a big mouthful of water first, then tilt my head right back and drop the pill right down to the back of my throat then swallow. I don't swallow the water until I've put the pill in my mouth.

I have to sit down to do it though, otherwise I fall over.
Cynamon

Postby kitty123 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:02 pm

i have this problem i 14 to i find taking them with yougrt helps mee just try not to bite the yougrt i somtimes forget that it not hart and end up biting my cheek or tablet
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Alice » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:40 pm

I think my mum's no nonsense attitude in my early life helped with this. She never made a fuss about me not swallowing pills but would just tell me to swallow it again if I didn't manage the first time. She told me to put the pill as far back on my tounge as I could and then take a drink. I can now swallow fairly large pills without water. Allot of adults have trouble swallowing pills because they are unused to it especially if they stayed on liquid medicines for too long. Then again, there is the added complication here of muscle control in your throat. I have bad muscle control in most of my body but my throat doesn't seem affected.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby alexc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 pm

I have the same problem, it depends what pills they are. try to get dissolvible ones, then you can let them dissolve in a drink without having to swallow pills.
alexc

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips