holding a pen

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

holding a pen

Postby kitty123 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:22 pm

does anydody no if there is any tips on holding pens as i realy have trouble holding them :?: :oops:
kitty123
Super Poster

Re: holding a pen

Postby Steph » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm

There are pens with special grips moulded into them but I can't think of any tips because people have been trying to get me to change my pen grip ever since I first started to write and I still hold it with the palm grip (my palm clenched around it) rather than the tripod grip (which is how the majority of people write). When I try holding a pen in the tripod grip, my hand starts trembling and my wrist seizes up within a couple of minutes-it's just too physically hard for me.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby kitty123 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:36 pm

thanks i heard of a new pen called pen again i will try this does anybody no if its good
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:13 pm

I think you should be allowed to type instead.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby charity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:30 pm

y does every1 think that ther's a 'right' way 2 hold a pen anyways :?: i just hold it the way i can write w/ best
charity
Power Poster

Postby JamesStanley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 am

i usually type im not very good writing it usually goes unreadable
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby kitty123 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:42 pm

i do use a alpha smart but in lessons i cant like maths the teacher always looks at me weirdly when he sees me writing :lol:
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby Luaghn » Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 pm

I don't know why people would want to change the grip on a student's pencil. They kinda gave up in my school.
I'm pretty good at art too so it ends up kind of amusing when others try to copy my hand grip.
Though, unless the way you are holding a pen that might damage your hand (though I doubt it) then others shouldn't be too bothered with how you write with a pencil, rather what you write with it.
Typing is a good alternative too, as said.
Luaghn

Postby abi » Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 pm

if your grip is not causing you pain, or damaging your hand/arm, and you can write (dont worry too much about this one), dont bother changing it.

if it is causing you a problem, try using a shaped pen, i liked the stabilo s move, but evryone likes different ones. once you have managed to get yourself to hold the pen, write 1 line only, then a few hours later, write another one. write a line 2 or 3 times a day in the new grip. once you can do this comfortably, write 2 lines for the same number of times a day. keep increasing the number of lines untill you can write using the new grip all the time.

untill you have got used to the new grip, typing may be a suitable (even if temporary) option.

hope i have helped, if you need more, i will do all i can to help you.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby evilmuffet » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:15 pm

I think it's good to write the way that's best for you.:D
I write very strangely and use my third finger to support my grip on the pen. I do it for balance because if I try writing any other way it's unsteady and write extremely slow, can't keep up in class at all.
Would've been so cool if classes would all use keyboards instead, you can always get it right that way. :)
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby olivia5 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:00 pm

I use a stabilo pen with really good grip and can write really good with them. hope this helps.
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby opamphilion » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 pm

well when i write i put all the pressure on the tip of the pen but i have a probble that after 10 minutes my hand stat to hurt like hell i can never seem to learn how to hold it a diffrent way it just seems natral my way
opamphilion

Postby Paddington » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:55 pm

For me after a few lines of writing it gets almost un bearably painful or it is un readable (even to myself). However when I have to write I have found that there are a few useful products. Firstly triangular pencils. Faber-Castell Grip Pencils are the best. You can also get them in a big chunky size which I find is easier to hold . I also recommend the Stabilo Smove Easy Pen as well. I find writing with it a lot easier as it wont write if your holding the pen in correctly ( however this sometimes doesn't work).You can also write separately with its cartridge which is really useful as I often forget my pencil case /pen. Stablo also dose a range of triangular grip colouring pencils. They only come in the basic colours but are easier to hold than most pencils. I am also reliably informed by a dyslexic friend of mine that the Pencil Grip Writing C.L.A.W helps. A more simple idea is tying elastic bands to your pencils/ pens this stops your hand slipping forward and makes it easier to hold the pencil. Grips are also great. I don't know if these will work for you but they have definitely helped me.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby kitty123 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Its not that i hold a pen weird is just that i cant seem to keep it in my hand and not drop it and its very uncomfortable to write. I mostly type but i'm so disorganized i forget to print the work :roll: When i have to write now use a stabilo pen, I still find it difficult to write with this pen but its better than a normal pen
kitty123
Super Poster

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips