Passing your Driving Test.

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Re: Passing your Driving Test.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:50 pm

*hugs* Maybe learning to drive is not such a good idea.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Page » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Piers1 wrote:Yesterday I nearly got me and my driving instructor killed, TWICE, when going through a round-a-bout. :-(

Don't feel bad. I nearly destroyed someone's fence the first time I drove and the amount of stress I caused for my instructor probably shortened the poor guy's life by several years. It took me awhile before I felt confident enough to go on freeways/highways.

Roundabouts are HORRIBLE. They were clearly not designed for today's high levels of traffic and I'm glad there are none near where I live.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Page » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:*hugs* Maybe learning to drive is not such a good idea.

Nah, just give him time. I was a horrible driver when I first learned and I gradually got better.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Kiki931 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:33 pm

I got my provisional driving licence about a month ago and it didn't take very long for it to come and im sure I put that I had dyspraxia on my application form. I don't think its fair on dyspraxics though.
Kiki931

Postby C » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:08 pm

I don't drive. I tried learning for two years in a manual car before having a driving ability assessment. The guy recommended switching to an automatic car, which I did, but after a few months told me he was concerned that I would be a danger on the road. So I gave up, which I think was the right thing to do.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Manual Cars actually become easy after a while.

I am starting to question this thread because the poster failed his driving test three times in an automatic car and automatic cars are easy to drive.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:24 am

Brian wrote:Manual Cars actually become easy after a while.

I am starting to question this thread because the poster failed his driving test three times in an automatic car and automatic cars are easy to drive.

It's easy for you. It doesn't follow logically that it will be easy for everyone.

That would be like me getting sceptical over someone's inability to distinguish between trochaic and dactylic metre in a poem. It's easy for me, but not everyone is good with langwidge like wot I am. :P
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:37 am

Brian wrote:Manual Cars actually become easy after a while.

My mum has always said that, if I learn to drive, it should be in an automatic car because they are easier to control than manual cars. However, driving is about far more than simply coordination of the pedals. It demands good spatial awareness (something I and quite a few of the posters on here struggle with) and fast reaction times (my reaction times are abysmal). It's hard to explain but, trust me, driving demands A LOT more than purely coordination.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Steph wrote:I ticked other and then wrote about dyspraxia and the coordination issues it causes. I have been told that it's not necessary to disclose it but I got freaked out when I read a DVLA guidance thing that said if you are involved in a crash that is as a direct result of a disability you have but didn't declare on the form, then it's a £1000 penalty at the minimum.

Surely by passing the test you have proved that you are safe to drive with or without the dyspraxia, and so disclosing it is unneccessary.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:57 pm

I don't know-the whole thing just confuses me!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Alice wrote:
Steph wrote:I ticked other and then wrote about dyspraxia and the coordination issues it causes. I have been told that it's not necessary to disclose it but I got freaked out when I read a DVLA guidance thing that said if you are involved in a crash that is as a direct result of a disability you have but didn't declare on the form, then it's a £1000 penalty at the minimum.

Surely by passing the test you have proved that you are safe to drive with or without the dyspraxia, and so disclosing it is unneccessary.

I think that clause is referring to disabilities like epilepsy. It would be quite possible for somebody with epilepsy who has only occasional seizures to obtain a provisional licence without disclosing their condition, pass their test, drive safely for a few years, and then have a seizure at the wheel. In that case they could be prosecuted for not disclosing their epilepsy at the outset.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:07 pm

I believe people with epilepsy must not have had an attack for a certain period of time before they even apply for a provisional licence
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Brian wrote:I believe people with epilepsy must not have had an attack for a certain period of time before they even apply for a provisional licence

That's if they follow the rules. I have a friend of mine who has epilepsy. She has not had a tonic clonic seizure for 2 years but still has frequent absence and complex partial seizures. She admitted to me once that she probably shouldn't be driving because, although she doesn't lose consciousness with her seizures, her awareness is severely impeded during a seizure, but because she needed a car to get about and to improve her independence, she didn't declare it to the DVLA.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby award » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was recently with an instructor who dident understand what dyspraxia was and keeped nagging cos she dident relise i wasent doing the silly things i was doing on purpose so i failed my first test.

i have today got a new instructor who is brillaint he knows exatly how to help and is extremly patient :)
now i love driving

but the only thing is when ever anyone says "test" i get sooooo nervous and i am affraid i will full to pecies on the next test like i did in the first test.

Has anyone got any tips for nerves in tests?

thanks
Adam
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Postby Manse5 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:10 am

Passing my driving test was really awesome. Took driving lessons from Port Macquarie Driving School. They provided excellent driving lessons on affordable fee. Their way of teaching and services are awesome. Thanks to their trainers for helping me in learning driving.
Manse5

Previous

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips