Damn Hands

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Damn Hands

Postby Bladen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:26 pm

More or less since I've finished college for the summer and a few underlying injuries might just be aggrevating my normal threshold to what is it at the moment but I've noticed that after a certain degree of pushing my hands, arms, fingers to the limits it eventually takes a lot more force to maintain them.
Ok, that makes no sense so I'll exemplify.

I've been playing bass quite a lot these last few weeks, attempting to learn a very strainous song, I know the song in my head, I know where my fingers need to be and when but the response from my picking arm, hand and wrist included is quite slow for one, they just don't keep up to the pace they should and I'm not quite sure if this is a natural problem or what to do. Pushing my fingers beyond this natural limitation is possible and I have done but I experience a lot of pain in my arm when I do so, usually to the to the point where my hand tenses up.
Now, is this a natural threshold limit, where I can't simply play such a strainous piece and expect no problem?

Its a 200bpm song, a bass cover of Flight of the Bumblebee and it takes a lot of strength to even do the intro and eventually my entire picking arm just packs in.
It takes a lot to play at 200bpm but I know the song and how to play it in my head and my arm just doesn't respond like it should, its frustrating that I can't do something that I know I should be able to.

It may relate to the fact I've recently badly hurt my upper arms from wall climbing, pulled the muscles there somehow 0_o
I could be out of practice
my arms just might not be strong enough, I might need more STR skill!
Time to grind!
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Damn Hands

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Bladen wrote:More or less since I've finished college for the summer and a few underlying injuries might just be aggrevating my normal threshold to what is it at the moment but I've noticed that after a certain degree of pushing my hands, arms, fingers to the limits it eventually takes a lot more force to maintain them.
Ok, that makes no sense so I'll exemplify.

I've been playing bass quite a lot these last few weeks, attempting to learn a very strainous song, I know the song in my head, I know where my fingers need to be and when but the response from my picking arm, hand and wrist included is quite slow for one, they just don't keep up to the pace they should and I'm not quite sure if this is a natural problem or what to do. Pushing my fingers beyond this natural limitation is possible and I have done but I experience a lot of pain in my arm when I do so, usually to the to the point where my hand tenses up.
Now, is this a natural threshold limit, where I can't simply play such a strainous piece and expect no problem?

Its a 200bpm song, a bass cover of Flight of the Bumblebee and it takes a lot of strength to even do the intro and eventually my entire picking arm just packs in.
It takes a lot to play at 200bpm but I know the song and how to play it in my head and my arm just doesn't respond like it should, its frustrating that I can't do something that I know I should be able to.

It may relate to the fact I've recently badly hurt my upper arms from wall climbing, pulled the muscles there somehow 0_o
I could be out of practice
my arms just might not be strong enough, I might need more STR skill!
Time to grind!

Playing at speed for extended periods of time just requires stamina. I have the same with piano but with most piano pieces if you are relaxed you can play for hours without issue.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 am

I understand stamina is needed but whats annoying me is my hands aren't responding to what I'm telling them to do, if its an effect of a lack of practice from playing at that speed, if its a physical limitation of my muscles then before I go nuts I got to fix this problem.
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby ashb1994 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:29 am

If you havent already reptified this the best thing to do with this problem is to do various excercises something i do regularly is play 'air bass' its not only very fun but teaches your hands what to do subconsciously and its really helpful
ashb1994

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips