Change and...well change!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Change and...well change!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:46 pm

I was just wondering (reflecting back on my own past!) How all you huys on the forum coped with the transfere to high school. Mine (personally i feel) couldn't have gone worse, i got so depressed and misrable by the change or evreything i was forced to go on a therapy course for 18 months. The corse i took had load's of other people who suffered ADHD and other problems. Going on the corse i feel was one of the best things i have ever done i gained a good best friend from it! But anywho, this year is my last year in high school ( i DO NOT intend to stay for 6th form Stupid school :evil: ) And i know im gonna have to move to anothe place, i know im older now but i (as silly as it may sound!) and practically wetting myself at the thought of having to go somwhere new... and the point i am trying to make LOL was if any of you guys had past experiances or advise i would gratfully recieve it with opens arms and a warm thanks! Cheers :D
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

change

Postby k9ruby » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:45 pm

I knowe what you mean...routine makes me feel relaxed and secure....if you you do end up going to another place then why not:

-Get as many visits there before you start
-meet all your 'important' staff and learn where they are
-ensure you have allowences for things
-If you have a statement/IEP ensure that they are well aware of it and understand all your difficulties
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:14 pm

Starting high school wasn't much fun for me, either. I got lost all the time, and it took me months to make any friends. Funny story: I had to see a teacher about what help I needed with my dyspraxia, but I couldn't because I kept getting lost! I couldn't find her classroom.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby fuzzy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:44 pm

I was really nervous about high school beacuse of a change in routine; despite the fact that I had no frineds in P7 (last year of primary school in Scotland) i was terrified to leave as i felt safe in the routine there, even if I was misreable in every other way! But i tried to see going to a new school as an oppurtunity to leave behind the crappy past and make frineds; a fresh start. The only problem with this was that almost everyone from my primary school moved to the same secondary as me, meaning that I was constantly reminded of the hard times Id had at my old school. I did, however, make frineds, one of whom iv still got :D

So my advice would be to go in with a postive attitude; see moving schools as an opputuniy to make frineds etc :D
fuzzy
Splendiferous Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat