Consentration (is that spelt right?)

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

Consentration (is that spelt right?)

Postby Dizzy D » Tue May 04, 2010 4:10 pm

In school I find it realy had to consintrate lately :roll: , I'm 12 years old so I don't know if it's hormones but have any of you got any tips?
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Re: Consentration (is that spelt right?)

Postby Alice » Sat May 08, 2010 11:33 am

In answer to your first queston. Very nearly, you just have an S where a C aught to be. I wouldn't worry too much. I have been responsible for some very creative spellings in my time, the point is that we can read it.

A lot of dyspraxic pepole have poor attention spans. Mine is quite bad, although inconsistently so. With me it is probably a result of my limited perception of time.

When not in lessons, I suggest you work for as long as is productive and then have a short break, this will actually help you get things done faster than plowing through. During lessons, try to sit near the front, and explain to the teacher (preferably at the start of the year) that you have a poor attention span and need to be reminded to pay attention if you appear distracted. It's also a good idea to mention that if they have a seeting plan, you need to be near the front, and that seating you by grade after a bad exam will only make the situation worse.

This can lead to interesting results though. One teacher sat me with the disruptive kids after the boy he had origonaly sat me next to had managed to affect my grade by poking me with a cumpas and knocking my book off my desk whenever I apeard to concentrate (he had refused to move me then too). My Mum wrote in saying that she thought it was disgraceful that when a student wants to work hard he deliberately obstructs them. He had allready refused to move me, so rather than "backing down" he moved the whole class around me :lol:. I think he thought he'd won something, I didn't much care. In fact it was much better this way, as I was now right in the centre of the front row surounded by quiet, studious types.

This was the same teacher who said I wasn't that clever and had very little tallent for the subject. I find this hillarious, since he was my physics teacher.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Mon May 10, 2010 7:53 pm

Oh well there's no pleasing some people. I sit at the back in English but I do ok in it. I'm sorry to hear about your nast physics teacher :cry:
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby wm1995 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:50 pm

I generally don't have a problem concentrating in lessons, but when I get home I cannot do my homework. For example, I have three pieces of homework due for tomorrow, and yet I cannot stop looking around this website. I went to ask the 'Learning Assistant' or something like that and she said it was self-control, which I guess it is to a certain degree. However, I always find something more interesting to do. For example, I would much rather work on an Electronics GCSE project that's not due for months than do my History which is due for tomorrow (or today now). Somehow though, I always manage to get things done on time (it's a miracle, really). I think it's because I hate being told off. I hope you found the self-control aspect useful, but judging from my experiences, you probably can already guess this and it's almost irrelevant.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dizzy D » Wed May 12, 2010 4:51 pm

I always manage to get things done on time (it's a miracle, really).
I know what you mean. I always leav my homework to the night befor. But I think your right when you say about not liking to get in to troble :wink:
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Thu May 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Dizzy D wrote:Oh well there's no pleasing some people. I sit at the back in English but I do ok in it. I'm sorry to hear about your nast physics teacher :cry:

It's alright, it's not as if he put me off the subject.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Thu May 13, 2010 6:54 pm

thats a realy good atitude to have :D I'm don't have it though
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Fri May 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Dizzy D wrote:
thats a realy good atitude to have :D I'm don't have it though

You cannot put me off physics, it's a part of my nature.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Sat May 15, 2010 11:53 am

You cannot put me off physics
me nether but I think that's cos I alredy dont like it I just find it boaring I like biology though :)
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby award » Tue May 25, 2010 9:02 pm

i always have a problame concentrating werever i am so i try and sit at the back or frount as this kind of helps me also have 1 ear phone in listening to music when doing any work as i find it easier .... Worth Trying :D
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Postby ErinMaree » Thu May 27, 2010 11:08 am

I find that you set your self goals so for every 15 minutes of work you get 5 minutes free time this really helps! Also in school after half an hour walk around the class room (put a peice of paper in the bin ect get a tissue even though you don't need one!) this really helps me! Also talk to your teachers explain your problem and ask if you can sit somewhere it is not so distracting! :D
http://erin-marees-antics.blogspot.com/ please check out my blog love Erin xxx =^.^=
ErinMaree

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips