What to say when I get an Alphasmart

Share any tips or ideas that you have which make living with dyspraxia easier.(Please start a new thread for each tip)

What to say when I get an Alphasmart

Postby Dizzy D » Sat May 15, 2010 1:08 pm

I am going tobe getting an alphasmart soon to help me. But I don't know what I'm going to say to people in my class when I suddenly turn up withit! I know some people will understand but I'm worried some of them will teas me! :cry: pleas help! I don't know what I'm gunna say!!
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Re: What to say when I get an Alphasmart

Postby abi » Sat May 15, 2010 3:22 pm

be honest about y why you use it, and if people start to tease you, join in, this stops most of them, and it makes you feel better about it.

some people like to deflect/avoid the question when asked, but if it is something (like a computer or alphasmart) that makes you visibly different, it is not always easy.

before you get it, talk to some of the people who you think will understand about it, then when you first get it, stay with them untill you are used to having it, this will help your confidence, and, if you are in a group, this makes people less likley to tease.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Dizzy D » Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby DifferentFromTheRest » Sun May 16, 2010 7:34 am

i used to have alphasmart well untill i got it changed to real laptop. I was worried like you, I dont no about your school but my school didnt make a show of it so i could jst get on with it. Some people did ask why i had it and i never knew what to say so my best friend would help me and explain why i have it and because they knew i didnt get teased. So dont worry to much bout it :)
Behind This smile is everything ul never understand
Proud Dyspraxic
Officaly Dyspraxic Officaly Fantastic
DifferentFromTheRest
Super Poster

Postby James Brimer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 am

When i was in shcool I had a alpha smart (still do), I find there great!, to answer your question, don't worry. Just explain that your hand writing is bad due to dyspraxia. If your friends don't understand, try to help them.., after all if they don't help you if you are teased then are they rearly friends?,
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby justme6565 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Dizzy D wrote:I am going tobe getting an alphasmart soon to help me. But I don't know what I'm going to say to people in my class when I suddenly turn up withit! I know some people will understand but I'm worried some of them will teas me! :cry: pleas help! I don't know what I'm gunna say!!

I actually was in the exact same situation as you, and unfortuanly, I got very defensive when anyone would ask me, assuming that people were asking to tease me. What I didn't realize is that people were just geniunly curious! Just answer honestly and if they tease you, which they probably won't, just try to ignore them. I know it's hard, and that people aren't always the kindest, but you can do it. I promise. :)
“Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes.” ~Bette Midler
justme6565
Forum Master

Postby award » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:51 pm

when i was in school i was given an alphasmart to use for my "writen subjects" such as english history ext i just told people the truth about my writeing alot of the people in the group knew about my writeing anyway and they thought the alphasmart was cool lol

they all wanted to have ago at typing on it

i think if u just tell the truth you will be fine dude
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Return to Dyspraxia Coping Tips